Mate

"Mate."

I gasped, staring into the unfamiliar grey eyes that growled this precious word, unable to look away.

He was the most handsome man I've ever seen in my life. His face was chiseled by the Moon Goddess herself, with piercing eyes that were impossibly soft as they met mine. His straight nose fit his features perfectly and full pink lips were set in a hard line. His aura emanated power, and my core clenched at the intense way he stared into my soul. His soft black hair was slicked back, making his features appear even sharper.

I want to run my fingers through that hair.

We were standing in such a provocative position; with my hands tightly gripping the white sink behind me and back arched into the stranger that walked in on me. He was also resting his strong-looking arms against the sink, bringing our faces close together. It was frankly the closest I've ever been to a male, and it was unnerving me. I wanted to push him back, but my body felt paralysed.

My mind was uncharacteristically stuck on one word... mate, mate, mate. My wolf was repeating those words in my head as well, purring contentedly in my chest for the first time tonight.

"Mate," he repeated as his eyes roamed my face, taking in every feature as I did his.

There was no way he were my mate. My mate was dead. At least, that's what my father told me. He said that because I killed his mate, the Moon Goddess took away mine as punishment.

But then, why was I so affected by him? My wolf has never reacted to someone this way before, she was almost crazed. I didn't have friends to tell me what meeting my mate would feel like nor did my mother ever get the chance. It was easier to believe that I was mate-less instead of this emotional turmoil I was facing.

I needed to get away. Being in his space was giving my wolf and I very strange thoughts that I didn't want to investigate at the moment. Besides, Mrs. Jones was expecting my help in the kitchen and I couldn't keep her waiting much longer.

Imagine father finding out you were slacking off with this hot stranger on such an important dinner, he would put your head on a platter and serve it to the guests.

"I-I'm s-so sorry, I didn't n-notice you coming in. I'll b-be going now," I stuttered, flustered to get away.

Given his impossible height, I tried to discreetly move away by bending under his outstretched arms, but he was having none of it. He inched in closer to me, so close that my heaving chest was rubbing against his as I panicked.

"And where do you think you're going?" He questioned, narrowing his eyes at me amusedly.

"I'm leaving," I whispered in as stable a voice as I could get it.

I could tell all amusement was gone, but he somehow maintained a light tone as he said, "and why are you leaving, mate? Do you not like my company?"

My eyes involuntarily closed as my heart ached in my chest, relishing his deep, baritone voice. The velvety way in which he uttered the word 'mate' had my wolf flashing some wild images I was too mortified to acknowledge. Sometimes my wolf was too wild to handle.

"Hmm... answer me, mate." I think he was calling me that on purpose now because it was embarrassingly obvious how my body shivered whenever he said it.

He nudged his nose into the crook of my neck and took a deep breath. I gasped at his forward actions, and subconsciously thanked the Moon Goddess that I took a shower beforehand. At the same time, my wolf was mewling in pleasure that was starting to cloud my consciousness.

"P-please I need t-to go." I pleaded. I wasn't stuttering in fear anymore, but in some foreign emotion that's taking over my whole body which I had no way of controlling.