14 | Tent

14 | Tent

~☁️☀️☁️~

I pounded my fists on Ian's back, shouting at him to put me down. He actually had the nerve to ignore me. I raised my head to find someone willing to take on the brute hauling me away. Reyna and Wesley were watching us, so I reached an arm out as we passed them.

"Guys?!" I shrieked when they didn't move. "Help!"

"Have fun," Reyna sang out.

Wesley shrugged one shoulder, "I told you I'm an expert in chemistry."

The traitors turned their backs on me and my indignant gasp. How dare they?

"Ian," I curled my fingers into his shirt when he started stepping over the rocks, "this is crazy! What the hell do you think you're doing?!"

He was striding into the woods when he finally answered me. "I'm being a jealous, selfish ass."

At least he could admit it. I groaned, "Put me down, you neanderthal."

"No."

I halted in my struggle, needing a moment to process the simple word. I couldn't recall an occasion when Ian Winters ever said no to me.

"No?"

"You wouldn't hear me out," he tightened his grip around the backs of my legs and put his other hand on my hip to keep me steady as he climbed over a fallen tree trunk, "so now I'm going to make you listen."

"Excuse me," I said with all bark and no bite, "for not wanting to hear another apology!"

Ian stopped, huffing in what could only be interpreted as annoyance. Just when I thought he was going to put me down, he swung me around and readjusted so one of his arms was under my knees and the other supported my back.

I was going to demand that he drop me, but the determination I saw in his unwavering gaze made every word melt on my tongue. There was a challenging gleam in his eyes, like he expected me to keep fighting. 

I chose my battles wisely, and if I was being honest with myself, the look he was giving me while I was in his arms made me want to call a truce for once.

"I'm not going to apologize." His tone was quieter, almost vulnerable, but still as firm as the set of his jaw when he resumed his purposeful walk to the campsite.

"Then what are you going to do?"

"Talk," was all he said.

"Oh, so you're not taking me to your cave so you can have your way with me?"

Ian lost his footing, barely managing to catch himself. He held me tighter against his chest and threw me a glare, "Funny."

I grinned at his reaction and wrapped my arms around his neck. I may have been letting him win the battle, but I still had the power to take him down.

When we arrived at the tents, Ian was winded from carrying me so far. He was too stubborn to let me walk on my own, even when I told him I wouldn't run. Maybe he liked having me in his arms as much as I liked being in them. Or he thought it was necessary to stick to his 'jealous, selfish ass' act.