you're edgier than the other Jason, Jason

Nico was dying of boredom.

He never thought he'd get so tired of the calmness that comes with the lack of action.
After a few quests, peace and quiet were all he wanted, really - but not like this. The others around him still went on patrol every night, though they only went in pairs (Jason excluded). That was Dick's 'Bruce is away' protocol.

"I trust every one of us to do their job right, but just in case, it's best not to be alone", he said.

For once, Jason didn't complain. He just nodded and said, "Yeah, I was alone when the joker got me".

Barbara smiled. "Me too", she said, and they high-fived.

Nico still had no clue what that was about, but that wasn't the point.

The point was that even in pairs, even promising to stick to small petty crimes and be extra-really-totally careful, Nightwing still didn't let Nico go on Patrol around Gotham.
And damn it, Nico knew they didn't need him.
He knew they managed just fine before he showed up, and that Gotham was already overflowing with vigilantes.
But he was stuck alone all day, without anything to do, and he.
Was.
Dying.
Of boredom.

He was so restless.
He couldn't even read anything, because - surprise! - The house didn't have many books in Greek and he was dyslexic.
Back at camp, his days were packed.
He'd participate in camp activities, teach some of the younger campers, and volunteer at the infirmary.

Here, all he could do was practice swinging his sword in his room, talk to the others when they got back from school every day, and try very hard not to take out his picture from home and stare at it.

He was a sitting duck, and that was worst kind of duck by far.

One day when Nico was just sitting on the fluffy rug in what was becoming his favorite living room, bored out of his mind, Alfred stopped by.

Nico enjoyed the family butler, with his dry remarks and caring affection.
He hoped it was mutual.

"Hello, Alfred", Nico greeted him.

"Hello, Mr. Di Angelo. How are you this fine morning?"

"Just fine, thank you, other than the crippling boredom. And yourself?"

"Fine as well, and wishing I had the time to be bored."

Alfred paused for a moment, considering.

"I wonder if you had been to the estate's gardens yet, mr. Di Angelo. You might find some time outside in the fresh air to be quite therapeutic."

Nico raised his eyebrows. "there are gardens?"

Alfred nodded. "most filthy-rich manors have large, beautiful gardens for visitors to get lost in."

"are you trying to get me lost in some rich-people forest, Alfred?"

"certainly not, Mr. Di Angelo. I did say visitors, did I not?"

"and?"

"you are no mere visitor in this house. I wouldn't be surprised if before the month came to an end, Master Bruce were to adopt you."

Nico laughed, feeling his face get warm.

"alright", he said. "I'll visit the gardens. But if I get lost and starve to death out there, it'll be your fault."

. . .

It was sort of impossible to get lost in a place that had a very clear, stone path, leading directly from the mansion to the gardens.