Chapter Two- Thorns

I woke up feeling disoriented as I tried to make sense of my whereabouts. As my eyes adjusted, I realized I had accidentally fallen asleep at Jackson's. I picked up my phone and looked at the time. It only about eight in the evening. I rubbed my eyes and looked around for Jackson who had suddenly disappeared. Confused, I got out of the bed and shuffled my dress uncomfortably as I made my way out into the hallway. I looked around and saw his stormtrooper slippers I had given him last Christmas. He loved Starwars with a passion and so when I saw these in store I knew immediately that I had to get them.  Slowly, I creeped up to the bedroom door and knocked lightly.

"Jackson?" I called out. I got no response and frowned. Where did he go? I sighed and pushed open the door, maybe he fell asleep and didn't hear me knock earlier. I walked in and out my hand on the side of the wall to flick on the switch. The lights flashed on and I saw Mr. Ambrosia sitting in the corner of the bed with a glass of liquor. I gulped feeling incredibly embarrassed for having just barged in. He looked up at me with a brow raised and I licked my lips nervously. "I'm s-sorry," I stammered. "I thought Jackson was in here. I'll go.." I trailed off beginning to walk away.

"It's okay, Bridgette. He actually went over to Dylan's house for the night but he didn't want to wake you up. Do you need a ride home or did you drive yourself?"

"I drove myself. Thank you for the offer." I replied courteously.

He nodded. "Thank you for following Jackson home. I know he can be a bit of a handful at times. And I'm sorry about what he did, I saw that shards of glass by the door."

"It's really no problem. He's just going through a difficult time right now." I replied. "I think everyone is."

"Yeah, we all are." He sighed looking down at the glass he was holding. "I miss her.." he began trialing off. "It's all my fault that she's even dead in the first place."

My eyes widened. "Mr. Ambrosia-"

"Matthew," he corrected. "you're like my daughter. You don't have to talk to me like I'm a stranger."

I nodded. "Matthew," I corrected. "you have to know that Rose's death wasn't anybody's fault at all. When it's time for us to leave this earth it's time. Nobody has control over when we go."

Matthew looked up at me misty eyed. He stared at me for a few seconds before shaking his head. "I wish Rose had been like you." He began. "Maybe she wouldn't have had to die like this."

I narrowed my eyes. "I don't think her being anything like me would've changed anything. She was an amazing woman, I would be honored to be a little like her." I sighed. "She enraptured all the good things in this world. Hope, beauty, kindness, selflessness.." I trailed off. "Everything."

I watched him set down the glass on the table next to him. He was looking down at he ground for a few seconds before I realized he had begun to cry. I watched tears fall down like rain drops onto the wooden floor below and I felt my chest tighten up. I sat down next to him and quickly grabbed his hand. "I-I'm sorry.." I stammered. "I didn't meant to make you-"

Matthew sighed and shook his head. "You don't understand. It's not your fault–it's really my fault–you won't understand Bridgette. It's not something you or anyone else will be able to fully comprehend. Murder is a complex subject."

"What do you mean murder? I thought she-"

Mr. Ambrosia shook his head. "I didn't mean—look I'm not her murderer if that's what you're thinking. I mean, I suppose in a way I did kill her. Day by day, piece by piece—" he stopped himself and let his head fall into his hands. He began to shudder and began to make small jerking movements as he sat and sobbed. We sat in silence for a few minutes before he released my hand and wrapped his hand over my shoulders. "You're a good kid Bridgette. You're someone who deserves more than what you're getting from this town." He sighed. "It's gonna chew you up and spit you out." He let go and turned to face me. "Leave this place. Leave it all behind you. Get out of here with Jackson, you guys could make it."

I was taken aback. "I don't think that would be a good idea—I—I should get back actually. Jackson is going to wake up soon and I should head home.." I trailer off trying to get tour of the awkward predicament I was in.

"Yeah, I understand." He sniffled. "Go ahead." He smiled sympathetically as I headed to the door.