Chapter Five- Gumballs and Dumbbells

Matthew's hand hovered over my lower back as he helped me into his fancy car. He shut the door and I rolled the window down as he walked to other side. My father popped his head in a gave me a kiss on my cheek.

"Have a goodnight bumpkin, love you."

"Love you too." I waved to my father and Matthew rolled the window up as we left my house.

I felt my heart begin to pound against my chest as we came to an empty stoplight.

"Did Jackson win tonight?" Matthew asked breaking the intense silence.

"Of course he did--a good win too. He had us all on the edge of our seats as he made the winning goal."

"That's my boy--did a good job with him."

I let out a breath and stared at my hands. "Um, Matthew is it okay if I ask you something?"

"Of course."

"About Rose.." I trailed off.

"Of course darling," Matthew place a hand above my knee. "you can tell me anything."

I stared at him out of the corner of my eye uncomfortably. "Where were you two going that night of the accident?"

"We were returning home from a gala, it was late."

"Yeah, thats what I thought. Where was it again?" I asked.

"It was at the new hotel down in Orlick."

"Oh." I nodded. I licked my lips and I drummed my fingers along the window shield.

"Enough about me, how are you?"

"I'm fine." Matthew nodded slightly and kept driving.

"Would you mind grabbing that pack of Gum from the glove department?"

"Uh, sure. Here." I said handing him a stick of gum. He looked down and shook his head.

"Can you give me the one with the blue wrapper? I don't like bubble gum."

"Yes, here." I smiled handing it to him.

"You could have that one."

I nodded and popped it into my mouth. I began to chew and I began to hum to the song playing on the radio. My eyes slowly began to droop and I began to slouch down. I heard Matthew chuckle as everything slowly began to look hazy. "C-Could we p-pull o-over?" I asked beginning to feel drowsier by the second. "I don't feel too good."

"We're almost there. Sit tight."

"N-No I can't!" I began to pant feeling my heart begin to hammer in my chest. "I need to get out!" I cried out trying to open the car door.

Suddenly Matthew swerved into an empty parking lot. He took out the keys and slammed the door shut as he began to walk to the passenger door. I tried to move only to realize I couldn't move. My body rushed with adrenaline as he opened the door and unbuckled me out of my seat belt. He pulled me out and I panted heavily as took in the fresh air and choked and gasped as I tried spit the gum that tasted immaculately sour. I relied on Matthew for support who pushed me against the car and stared down at me holding his head at an angle.

"I saw you run away from the study Bridgette." He began. "I know you heard, and I know you're smart enough to put it all together but—" he tsked "I'll destroy you. Don't try to be smart about this. The case is closed and I don't need you venturing in and out of Rose's death."

I shook my head. "I-I don't know what y-you're taking about." I stammered. I nearly felt my legs give out as he gripped my arm tightly.

"Don't ever lie to me—I hate liars. Lie to me and I will end you. Open your mouth and say anything, and trust me that it will be the last thing you'll ever say." I stared at him through blurry vision. I wanted to scream and cry out but I didn't have the strength. "Poor, poor baby. Can't say anything?" He shook his head. "Good, silence is virtue. Just remember that the next time you ask about anyone's accident. Do you understand?" I nodded hesitantly. "Say it!"

Freaksजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें