Chapter Three- The Beginning

I felt Matthew's eyes follow my every step as I walked over to Jackson's room.

"Bridgette?" He called out. I turned around and raised a brow. "Don't tell Jackson you went inside that bedroom—don't tell anyone."

"Of course, Sir—Matthew."

"Matthew that dumb f*ck you call a son is downstairs try—whoa." A voice interjected. I turned to see the same mysterious boy from the funeral walking up the stairs. "Wow, props to you for nailing her down. She's actually pretty."

"Who is that?" I asked turning back to face Matthew.

"That unfortunately, is my other son. The only thing I regret and hate the most in my life."

"What?" I interrupted rather rudely. "S-Sorry but Jackson has a brother?"

Matthew walked over to me and grabbed my hand. "Some things are better not mentioned, like the room for example." Matthew looked at the boy up and down and grimaced. "And that for example is something that shouldn't be mentioned either. However under the given circumstances you are to meet-"

"Derek Ambrosia." Derek grinned holding out his hand which Matthew swatted away. Derek scoffed and rolled his eyes. "I'm not contaminated your prick."

I shook his hand. "I'm Bridgette, Jackson's girlfriend."

Derek's face fell but then lit up. "I was sad there for a second but I remembered my game is immortal so you'll be mine soon enough. And kudos to you, sticking with that weirdo is a job enough." Derek licked his lips and took a life sip from his cup. "See ya around love."

Matthew cleared his throat and shook his head. "I apologize for this menaces behavior."

"Don't call me a menace you murderer."

"Derek!" Matthew yelled loudly. "Don't make me kick you out!"

"Won't be the first time. Maybe you'll kill me too."

"That's enough." Matthew boomed. "You can continue but it'll cost you." He glared down at Derek.

Derek rolled his eyes. "F*ck you. Just f*cking f*ck you!" He screamed at his father before leaving. Matthew sighed and clutched his temple.

"Bridgette I'm sorry about that—don't tell Jackson you met him. Please? He's not exactly the pride and joy of our family."

"O-Okay." I reassured. "I actually should get going."

"Of course dear it's quite late. Would you like for me to drive you home?" He asked.

"No, no. I'm fine I have my Dad's car."

"Okay, night love."

Love? That was new.

I smiled at him before leaving the house. That night when I fell onto my bed I couldn't stop thinking about Derek. His comments about his father had been rather odd. Murderer? What did he mean by that? I shrugged it off assuming it was him just transferring his anger from his mothers death onto someone else.

****

The weekend passed by fairly quickly. Before I knew it, it was Monday morning and I was on my way to school. I parked my car in my parking spot and hung up my parking permit on he rear view mirror before campus security gave me a detention for forgetting it like last time. I had only gotten out of it by literally begging them.

I sighed and looked down at the bubbling cliques hat were beginning to grow outside of school. Viroid Academy was an exclusive private school that taught a few of the smartest and now richest people in the state, perhaps country. My parents, grandparents, and even great-grandparents had attended this school. My brother had graduated here as the Valdictorian and I hoped to do the same. I scanned the crowds forming until my eyes landed on Jackson who was dressed in his usually button up and slacks. To others outside of Viroid it might seem odd but to the students at Viroid it was the usually daily attire. Everyone dressed as if they were about to attend a business or cocktail party. I myself wore a bright floral dress that reached my knees almost, of course following the strict dress code.

I slipped out of my car and pulled out my cheer bag and backpack. I slid both onto my arm and made my way torwards Jackson who was leaning on the side of his flashy car talking to a few friends.

His eyes met mine and he instantly flashed a smile. "Duty calls boys, my girl is finally here."

I rolled my eyes and gave a him a soft kiss on the cheek. "Good morning." I smiled.

"Morning, erm I actually have to talk to you about something.." He trailed off.

"Jackson if you break up with me at school then don't doubt me for a second when I say I will sue."

Jackson chuckled. "Actually it was about Derek-" I stiffened. "I'm assuming by the looks of it that you two met last night. As you can see he's a bit twisted, my father and him aren't the best of friends which I'm also you knew taking into consideration how mad he was this morning."

I licked my lips and nodded not daring to bring up the fact that it was incredibly odd that he had hidden the fact he had a brother for so long. "Y-Yeah but I'm sure it's nothing too bad. Everyone has family issues once in a while."

Jackson tsked. "Small is one way of saying it." He sighed. "Everything's been hell since my mom.." He shook his head unable to finish the sentence.

"Jackson look, if you ever need to talk I'm here. Losing your mother so abruptly has to be painful and I don't want you to have to endure that pain alone. I'm here for you."

Jackson's expression morphed into a blank stare. "I don't want to talk about that, ever."

"But Jackson-"

"Drop it."

"I-"

"Bridgette," he grabbed my arm tightly and stepped forward which caused me to hit the back of his car. "Drop it." He boomed shoving me up against the car roughly with his body.

"Bu-"I stopped myself before I could continue to protest and nodded. "O-Okay. I'm sorry." I muttered looking up at him.

Jackson seemed as if he had been woken up from a dream. He looked down at his hand that was holding my wrist and let go of it, leaving behind a deep red mark that would soon bruise. "I-uh-sorry I didn't even realize I was holding you so tight. I sorta just—I don't know.." He trailed off letting me go.

"It's fine, really." I nodded. "Let's get to class." I grinned. "Ready for the game?" I asked trying to change the subject as we walked to class.

Everything would be fine, nothing has changed.