Doubt

Kung Lao and Jax made their way to the Living Forest, both took notice of the trees that growled if one of them got too close. Jax was visibly shaken, apparently his near-death at the hands of Kintaro had shaken him more than he thought at first. He thought he had won the fight, but if it were not for the sudden intervention of the Thunder God, Raiden, he would've died…

"Are you ok?" Kung asked, noticing Jax's depression.

"I'm fine, Kung, I'm fine." Jax said, unconvincingly.

Kung gave a concerned glance at Jax, but gave him a bow of respect and prepared his fighting stance. Jax did a modest bow and took his own fighting stance, Kung began the attack with a leap into the air and tried to bring his foot down upon Jax's face as his momentum carried him forward.

Jax was quick to block the attack and as Kung came back to the ground, Jax struck him in the chest and then pounded his fist in the ground, causing the Shaolin warrior to nearly lose his balance, but just as Jax came at Kung Lao again, the youthful warrior, ducked under Jax's fist and quickly gave Jax a quick knee to the chest.

Jax was knocked back, holding his chest in pain, Kung came at him again, Jax had no time to react before Kung Lao was on him again, with two blows to the head, Jax was losing his fighting spirit already.

------------------------------------------------------

As Kitana made her way through another part of the Living Forest, she was unaware that she was being followed, as she walked through the dark forest, she could hear footsteps approaching behind her. Almost instantly, she took out her fans and turned around.

"Whoa Kitana! It's me!" Jade said, holding her hands up.

"Jade?" Kitana said, surprised as she put her fans away. "You've been here the whole time?"

"Yeah…" Jade said, trying to relax after Kitana's near-attack. Kitana's instincts had grown over her years as one of Kahn's assassins. "I'm still a bit cold."

"Cold?"

"Yes, I fought with an Earthrealm warrior yesterday. I had the fight won, but something froze me from behind."

"Oh. Do you know who?" Kitana asked.

"No. That bastard better hope I don't find him though."

Kitana couldn't help, but chuckle.

"Anyway, Kitana. I gotta get back. See ya later!" Jade said as she leapt back through the trees, Kitana let out a small wave before continuing on her way. Jade was just as tough as she ever was, at the very least she had one friend here.

As Kitana found herself crossing the bridge where earlier, Reptile and Sub-Zero fought, she heard another voice behind her.

"Where do you think you're going sister?"

Kitana turned around in shock to see Mileena walking towards her, strangely she had her two sais at the ready.

She let out a sigh. "I don't know." She was not in the mood to hear more of Mileena's complaints about how she was "Father's favorite." Hopefully those days would soon be over.

"Off to another meeting with Liu Kang?" Mileena said, chuckling slightly.

"What?" Kitana said, shocked. "No…! I…"

Mileena could only chuckle. "Yes, sister. I know all about your little meetings. It was only a matter of time before you revolted wasn't it? Father gives everything and yet here you are, on the verge of throwing it all away!"

Kitana did not reply, but started to ready her fans, she knew that a fight was coming.

"How dare you!" Mileena said, after a brief pause. "You have everything that you could ever want and you refuse it!"

"Mileena, you always wanted Kahn's praise and love. You can have it for all I care." Kitana said, her eyes narrowing.

"You will die today, sister…" Mileena said, menacingly. Just then, Mileena lunged at Kitana… her sais pointed outwards…

------------------------------------------------------

The fight had barely lasted 5 minutes before Jax was on the ground, surrendering. Kung walked towards Jax and helped him get to his feet.

"What's wrong? You could've fought better than that." Kung said.

"I'm fine…" Jax said, unconvincingly.

"Maybe you should…" Kung Lao started.

"I said I'm fine!" Jax angrily yelled as he brushed Kung off and started walking back to the arena. Kung Lao turned and watched, a doubtful and worried look on his face.

------------------------------------------------------

Liu Kang had found the portal, he figured that this must be the one that he and the others had come through. There was no sign of Baraka, at least not yet. Taking the time to stretch, Liu Kang was sure to keep an eye out for the vile Tarkatan and sure enough, he came.

"It is an honor to face the Mortal Kombat champion in battle." Baraka said, those horrible teeth of his smiling as he spoke.

"You vile, despicable monster!" Liu said, getting ready to fight. He didn't bother to bow before this opponent. "You're going to pay for what you did to the Shaolin Temples!"

Baraka let out a short laugh. "Those weaklings were not even worth fighting. It was easy to kill the lead Monk. Your friend could only watch helplessly. You should've been there. You should've seen their faces as we slashed them open."

"You're right…" Liu said, silently. "I should've been…"

Baraka laughed once again. "Do you really think that it would've made a difference? No, it wouldn't have. Your just as weak as the rest, you may have defeated Shang Tsung, but so what? I've been waiting for this battle!"

"You won your battle with Johnny Cage unfairly… you killed my Shaolin brothers!" Liu said, his fist angrily clenching.

"And what are you going to do? Kill me? That's so unlike monks."

"What?" Liu said, surprised. He had never fully thought about it. Would he actually kill to avenge his brothers, the possibility crossed his mind a couple of times, but there were other matters that he had to look into first.

"Well then," Baraka started as two blades came out of each of his arms. "Show me what you've got!"