chapter 12

: chapter 10; pantheonSummary:

Mythology/Fairytale!AU in which Louis is a dainty fairy with a temper who wants to be intimidating and Harry hurts people. Naturally, they hate each other.

Featuring Liam, the big and not-so-bad wolf who's got a thing for humans, Zayn, a human with supernaturally good looks, and Niall, the cupid who just wants his job to be easier.

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for .)

Chapter Text

Louis focuses on putting one foot in front of the other at a good pace, looking at the contrast of his tanned feet against the white, cold marble beneath him. The pale solidity's slowly fading into something greener, softer, more colorful, and a distinct fog's making it increasingly impossible to see how far away their destination actually is. Louis' mind calms down a little more with every step. Green calms him down more than anything else. Nature is peaceful, and Louis lets it lull him into a false—very false—sense of control. After all, he needs as much of that as he can get, with Harry walking only inches next to him. Louis can still feel the electricity threading and sparking in the small space between their arms.

"Thank you, by the way."

Harry's tentative voice is what finally breaks through the thickness of the charged silence. Louis quirks an eyebrow.

"I'm not sure what you're referring to, but I appreciate the sentiment."

He's answered with a quiet snort, and Harry kicks a few leaves lying astray on the ground out of the way to not have to meet Louis' piercing eyes.

"I mean, for... You know. Changing the subject back there. I—I'm really thankful you did that and I thought I'd let you know."

Louis wants to stop them and give him a blinding smile. And a hug, maybe. Maybe examine what his lips taste like, if they taste as much like cherries as they look—particularly now, that they're so bitten from Harry's apparent nervousness.

He doesn't do any of that, though. The moment the last word drops off of Harry's tongue with something a little too close to vulnerability, Louis panics. His hostile reflexes immediately kick in with force, and he blurts out;

"It wasn't for you, but sure."

If feels wrong before he's even finished it.

Louis isn't sure if it's the way Harry's hesitant smile drops, or just the fact that Harry just tried being genuinely nice and Louis coldly shut him down, that makes the words taste so ugly in his mouth. Here Harry is, trying to follow Louis' advice on being kind. Being polite. And instead of encouraging it, Louis turns insensitive and, quite frankly, bitchy. He can't stand for this. He feels bad.

Besides, Louis did actually do it for Harry, after all. Even if he hates to admit it.

Harry bites his lips loosely—Louis is not distracted—and shoves his hands in his pockets as he quickly tries to come up with a way to brush the whole thing off.

"I know, but—but I still—"

"I totally lied," Louis interrupts. "It was for your sake. And I'm glad I could help."

At first Louis almost regrets telling the truth, thinking Harry would go all arrogant on him, but his doubts are washed away when Harry's face lights up by a smile that shows off all of his white teeth, and he tries to tuck his chin in to hide it.

"Really?"

Shouldn't Niall's effect be wearing off by now? They've been walking for quite a while, so there should be a fair amount of distance between them, but Louis still wants to pinch Harry's cheeks and tug at his locks. Maybe it doesn't truly disappear until you leave Pantheon or something. Either way it's not looking bright for him.