chapter 23

: chapter 21; the forestSummary:

Mythology/Fairytale!AU in which Louis is a dainty fairy with a temper who wants to be intimidating and Harry hurts people. Naturally, they hate each other.

(Featuring Liam, the big and not-so-bad wolf who's got a thing for humans, Zayn, a human with supernaturally good looks, and Niall, the cupid who just wants his job to be easier.)

Notes:

(See the end of the chapter for .)

Chapter Text

It takes Liam three days to get better. The boys don't really mind staying.

It's quite nice, to be honest. It's a happy time to be there, Thor and Sif young and alive and healthy and beautiful and always so, so very grateful—soon joined by the other gods too, even Loki after a while (though things are slightly stiff between him and Harry and Zayn). They all throw a big celebration the second night, inviting all of the now recovered gods and goddesses, and Louis has positively never been more starstruck than he is during that dinner. His self-esteem has probably never skyrocketed more than it does right then, either—because that's what being heartfeltly thanked by god after important god will do to you.

Louis also ends up spending a lot of time with Harry—it just kind of happens that way with them sharing rooms and everything. They talk about everything and nothing until the early hours of the morning, they shower together—an amazing concept that Louis is not opposed to at all—and they go exploring the castle and end up getting horribly lost. Which, of course, is Louis' idea, and also something Harry will not stop pestering him about for the remainder of their stay.

It's overall both the most amazing thing ever because Louis is constantly overwhelmed by how well they actually fit together after spending so much time thinking they would never be able to agree on even the smallest of things, and it's also the worst thing ever because. Well. Louis kind of constantly wants to scream out how gone he is for this boy, and he can't. He's never been one to keep any sort of feelings to himself, and it's extremely draining to do it now, especially with how strong they are.

In general, they all have a great time, and it's with slight dejection and some urging on from Thor, they finally leave on that third day to spread their newfound information about the portals along.

When the boys finally have their stuff packed and are entering Thor and Sif's portal, Louis sighs wistfully, because he thinks this has most definitely been the high point of this adventure and he's pretty sure it won't really get better than these three past days have been.

~

As it turns out, Louis is wrong. And he's... Never been happier to admit so in his life.

He feels it in the air before he even opens his eyes. There's only one place he knows where the air is this crisp and the scent of nature this sweet.

He puts his hands down in the grass, feeling flowers break through the earth and blossom in the spaces between his fingers, and a massive, bright smile is making its way onto his face as he flutters his eyes open. Leaves from the big oak tree where his mother used to tell him stories every sunset are rustling quietly above his head, and it sounds like a "welcome back".

The meadow is sparkling and bubbling with life and colors, the sun is in their eyes, the sky is the brightest of blues, and Louis?

Louis is home.

He knows this place better than he knows anything else and he feels like crying from pure joy, the weight of traveling and risking his life and being away from everything he's known so far finally making itself known. He hasn't even realized how heavy that weight has been until it's now lifted from him, ascending somewhere else, leaving Louis so light and feather-like he feels like he could just catch the sun in his palm.