chapter 30

: epilogue i; zaynSummary:

The journey is over. Things resolve. Everyone heals eventually.

Notes:

hello my lovely, wonderful, fantastic, awestriking angels.

the year is 2020. i started writing this story 5 sweet, sweet years ago. i finished it--save for this damn epilogue--2 years ago. so imagine my bewilderment when the engagement on this fic just spikes out of nowhere. hello my loves. welcome. this is for you. (and everyone who's ever read it. fucking love u icons)

it's come to my attention that people are quite, um. upset about the ending and louis' fate. i apologize for that. you deserve the closure of an epilogue. my only defense is that it wasn't actually supposed to end so abruptly, and it absolutely wasn't supposed to take this long. i'm just trash. but i hope that this update will give you at least a bit of that closure. xxx

finally, i must also say that I'm absolutely floored by the lovely, wonderful words you have to say about my fic, through comments, and asks, and dms, and everywhere else—i've read all of it and sucked it up like a sponge and i LOVE you so, so much. especially since i've spent way too many nights twisting and turning sleeplessly counting this story's flaws. there isn't a single more dysfunctional relationship out there than the one between me and this fic. i suppose some of it has to do with the fact that i (surprisingly to probably no one) started writing this as a fresh-faced teen with too vivid of an imagination and too fervent a love for both mythology AND some of the most cliché romance tropes out there (and english that weren't necessarily bad, but they definitely weren't adequate for the most quality fic writing, either). i'm finishing it a full-on adult (well. legally, at least) who doesn't know whether to be entirely and unashamedly proud of the fact that I managed to produce and finish this, or curl up in a ball and cry about how awfully insecure i am about a lot of it. i'll probably do a bit of both; mostly i'm just incredibly honored all you people felt things reading MY work. i'm so happy you've read all the way to this, and it's safe to say that without the encouragement this fic would NEVER have been completed. you're all fucking legends. i adore you.

i'll do this epilogue in 2 parts; one from zayn's point of view, and one from louis'. enjoy <333333

(See the end of the chapter for .)

Chapter Text

The last day Zayn spends as a permanent Earth resident is unexpectedly emotional.

He's been looking forward to moving to Grimm—to meet his parents, to live closely to Liam, to grow acquainted with a completely new place. To get to know the ins and outs of his golden hands, enough to finally toss his gloves away. To start over, really start over, with a boy he feels so much and so tenderly for, and perhaps even with a family he can feel like he belongs to.

Not so say he's not nervous about things not working out with his parents—it's been almost twenty years, after all. They haven't been present to help shape the person he's become. Zayn's already conditioned to be independent—maybe his time to truly connect with them has passed, maybe it'll feel stilted and distant. Maybe they'll look at him, his ruffled hair and inked arms and not like what they see. Maybe they'll stuff him into tight suits and give him a strict set of rules and lay out a future for him that he doesn't want. Zayn doesn't know a lot about how royalty in Grimm differs from royalty on Earth, but he hopes with all his heart they'll accept him for who he is and for what he wants to do.

(He'd like to do art. Even if he has to have a title such as prince bestowed upon him, he'd like to keep doing art.)

Maybe they won't even want him. Maybe it's all an unbelievable coincidence, maybe Zayn really just is a sad, sad orphan with a genetic defect that makes him susceptible for magic, or something. Admittedly it sounds a bit far-fetched, but knowing his luck, he's not ready to rule out anything.