Chapter Eight

"No you won't," Chase said before taking a bite out of his sandwich.

"Oh? And why not?" Nate asked.

"Because she is a princess and princesses don't sword-fight," Charlie said in a high-voice. Audra smacked him on the head.

"Don't be sexist," she commanded. Charlie giggled.

"Sorry," he said, obviously not meaning it.

"No. Because she's probably never used a sword before so it will take more than a few hours to teach her. It's three o' clock now, right? The sun sets in about, four hours. Can she learn in four hours?" Chase said ignoring Charlie. Nate shrugged.

"Might as well try. And I'm just going to teach her the gist of it, the basics," he replied.

"Alright. Do what you want," Chase said. Nate got up and stretched.

"Okay, you up for it?" He asked Abigail. She nodded.

"Yes I am!" she said enthusiastically.

"Great! Let's go. I've got my sword here, but for now you can use one of the sticks from the forest," He said, handing her a large, brown stick. They walked down to the front of the beach and Nate started his lessons.

"Alright, so there are four basic rules to follow when holding a sword. One is that you use your left hand on the bottom and right more towards to the top. Two is that your fingers are always pointing downward. Three is that your index finger and thumb touch each other and form a 'v' with both hands and four is that when you're relaxed, the sword's butt must rest a fist away from your belly-button, like so," he said, demonstrating the start-up stance.

"Also, put your right leg forward in a heel-to-toe sort of stance then lift your left foot slightly off the ground," he continued. Abigail tried to do what he told her to, stumbling a little at first before regaining her balance.

"I can't do it," She complained after a bit.

"Rubbish. This is just the startup. There, see? Now you've got it. Let's move onto actually using the sword," He said once she'd got it. He continued to teach her the types of cuts and the movements for the set cuts before calling for a break after an hour.

"Do five more of those cuts then come have something to drink," He called to her before walking up to the picnic blanket.

"How's she doing?" Jasmine asked once he'd arrived. He slumped down next to her and sighed a little.

"I don't even think she's ever used a kitchen knife let alone a sword before in her life," he grumbled quietly. Jasmine chuckled and punched his shoulder lightly.

"Well I think you're doing a really nice thing. If she doesn't know how to use a sword after this, at least she'll be a little more fit and stable on her feet."

"Yeah, but you know how to use a knife as well as a sword and you still trip over nothing," he joked.

"Gravity doesn't like me! Which is why I prefer the skies," She said with a smile.

"Gravity might not, but I'm sure plenty of other things or people might," Ash said, pushing Nate towards her. Nate rolled his eyes and looked away.

"Whatever. Hey, Abby! You coming for something to drink?" he called to her. She finished the last cut and walked up t the basket.

"My feet hurt," She said while grabbing something to drink.

"Yeah, wait for tomorrow. Then you'll really feel it," He said with a chuckle. Nova, who had been building a sandcastle, turned and ran towards the sea.