Chapter Sixteen

“Are you okay?” Chase asked, eliminating her thoughtlessness.

“What do you mean?” she asked quietly.

“You know, in amongst the excitement of you not dying, we didn’t ask how you felt.” She remained silent for a moment.

“I’m… scared. I have to protect this island by myself. Sure I have you guys, but now you’re all free to do as you please and go where you want. I’m stuck here. I may be able to travel, but I’ll always have to come back. And then there’s my dad. I… didn’t know him well at all, despite him being my own father. But he didn’t love me and he got me killed. It feels like the only one who did love me was my mom, but she’s dead too. I’m still hung up on the Father thing though. What kind of human being, regardless of relationship, would use another to selfishly save their own life?” she asked, crying now.

“More than you think,” he said silently. She sniffled and wiped her eyes.

“It just hurts so much knowing that all I was good for was taking a blow to the chest,” she said, feeling the wound where the unicorn pierced her sting.  She closed her eyes and touched her chest, regretting it instantly as it sent a sharp pain through her. Just then, Chase shuffled and she felt him get under the blanket next to her.

“What are you doing?” she asked through sobs.

“I can’t hold you, because that would hurt both of us physically, but I can be closer to you so you know you’re not alone. I know you’re scared and currently very hurt, but so were they. We’re all here for each other now and I promise you, we all care about you and I know that we all love you. You’re one of us now. You’ll never be all alone,” he said, easing his arm around her as carefully and painlessly as possible.  She lifted her head, lay on his arm and closed her eyes, gently resting her hand on his.

“And why are you telling me all this?” she asked, yawning.

“Because I’m a romantic.”