Chapter Nine

The next few days went by quickly and Abigail kept herself busy by practicing her swordsmanship and by helping around the cave. While Jasmine, Charlie and Audra continued watching and patrolling the island during the night, Abigail was left with the others, who got to know her as well. She became closer to Jasmine, Nova, Nate and Chase. Jasmine and Nova chatted to her about general things, whereas Nate taught her about swords and Chase taught her about the creatures that inhabited the island.

"So you see," he said to her on the fourth day, "Nate and I have the easier job. Because the unicorns are nocturnal, we only have to patrol and circle the island a few times because the unicorns are less likely to be hunting. So we're here a lot during the day as I am now."

"But what would they hunt for? I mean, if humans are detoured from the island, then what else do they hunt?" she asked.

"Anything and everything they can. They usually go for rhinos and magical creatures like elves and angels who occasionally pass through the portal," he explained.

"So then, couldn't you guys just get into the portal to return to Magnia? Or to Heaven?"

"Nope. None of us know where the portal is and even if we were to find it, we can't enter because of a barrier keeping us out. It's like a big door, this barrier. It's locked and we don't have the key. The key is our redemption but none of us know what we have to do to gain redemption so we're kind of stuck until one of us figures it out," he stated, shrugging. Abigail thought about it and nodded in understanding. These types of conversation continued for the next few days and taught her more and more about the island and the angels. On her fourteenth day on the island, Abigail had become restless and desperate.

"Why aren't they here yet?" She questioned, feeling sad and worried that they'd forgotten her. She paced the cave and eventually decided to leave the cave and watch the ocean from the cliff. The sun was just setting and the stars were peeking out in the horizon. Abigail let out a small sigh and rested her head on her knees.

"Feeling down because he's not here yet?" came the familiar voice of Chase.

"You like to sneak up on me, don't you? This mysterious thing you do where you suddenly appear and talk behind me, I don't understand it," she said flatly. He chuckled and sat next to her.

"I told you, I'm a romantic. I don't need a logical reason for it and I don't really need you to understand it," he said lightly. Abigail rolled her eyes.

"Is that so? Is your idea of romance confusing the lady into accidentally liking you?" she asked with a small smile. He chuckled again and shrugged.

"Maybe." They sat in silence for a bit before Jasmine, Charlie and Audra came to the cliff to start their nightly routine of patrolling.

"Well, we're off to patrol. Ash is busy cooking, so when he's done he should call you in. Don't do anything stupid," Charlie said before leaping off the cliff, followed by Audra.

"Bye guys. See you tomorrow. Or tonight. Depends on how late you stay up. Anyways, later!" Jasmine said to them before following Charlie and Audra.

Once they'd gone, Chase and Abigail were left in silence again. They watched the ocean for a bit before Abigail spoke.

"Why hasn't he come yet? I've been here almost two weeks already," she said softly.

"Maybe something's holding him up? I mean, even if there's nothing, the island itself is a problem because it's so bloody difficult to find," he suggested.

Abigail remained quiet for a minute.

"I know. It's just, I want to go home but I also... I kind of want to stay. The island has a lot going for it but I also have responsibilities to fulfill as a member of the royal family," she said, clenching her fists. He watched her silently before saying,

"I guess so. But you could try negotiating with your father. Ask him if you could stay here and leave ruling up to him until you're needed." Abigail chuckled darkly.

"Of course. Because he would definitely let me stay on an island with a bunch of crazy, exiled angels and man-eating unicorns. Unicorns. I never thought I'd be scared of one of them. It's ridiculous. How often do you hear a girl saying, 'No Mother, I don't want to go outside! There are unicorns out there!' Why are they portrayed as innocent beauties in fairytales?" She grumbled. Chase smiled lightly and shrugged.

"Popular belief I suppose. And we're not crazy! A little unorthodox and strange, I'll admit. But we're not crazy," he said. She let out another sigh.

"I know. But that's why I want to stay. This is the most fun I've had since my mother died. At home, sure I've got clothes and cakes and other lovely things, but I don't have anything of sentiment. I don't have friends. I don't have freedom. I don't even have a good relationship with my own father. At home, I'd get lessons on walking properly, talking politely, riding horses and which spoon to use for soup as well as other such useless skills. Here, I've learnt about swords and sirens and unicorns and plants and more about the gods and spirits and spirituality. I want to stay. But I can't. Riven will need me when Father dies and if I'm not there, I don't know who will take over," she lamented. Before Chase could answer, Star walked out and called them in for dinner. Chase and Abigail got up and went inside to eat. Dinner was rather silent and the only noises were the feint sounds of the island outside the cave and the fire crackling. By the time they had finished, Nova had fallen asleep with her food next to her and the others watched the fire silently.

"Well, I'm going to bed. Goodnight, lovelies" Star said, getting up and walking to the staircase.

"Me too. Goodnight," Abigail said softly. She got up and walked down to Jasmine's room where she'd slept the past week. Small fire-lit torches illuminated her path to the room as they were the source of light to the cave during the night. Abigail entered and took her shoes off.

"Hey, put your shoes back on," came a voice from the window. Abigail squeaked in surprise and turned to the window to see Chase resting on the sill.

"Oh, it's you. Would it kill you to actually talk to me instead of surprise me all the time?" she asked wryly, pulling her shoes back on. He thought for a moment and said,

"Probably not. But why risk it?" Abigail rolled her eyes and put her hands on her hips.

"Well, for starters it would make me feel better. Also, it might kill you," she said with a cold smile.

"You're so mean, Abigail. Do you want me to die?" He asked, fake crying. Abigail chuckled.

"Of course not. Who would cheer me up? Anyways, what's up? Why am I putting my shoes back on?" She said with a grin.

"Well, I figured you obviously still felt quite blue because your father hasn't come yet, so I thought I might take you for a joyride to a secret destination to make you feel better," he said, stretching out his hand. She looked at him for a minute, slightly unsure. She reluctantly took his hand and much to her surprise, he pulled her in closely and held onto her waist.

"Hold tight," he whispered before leaping off the windowsill into the trees.