EIGHT

"She hasn't been sleeping

"She hasn't been sleeping." Ryan followed Steve around Avengers headquarters the next day.

"What are you talking about, kid?" Steve asked.

"Alexis. She hasn't slept in three days." He repeated.

Steve looked over the young boy over for a moment.

"Did she tell you why? Is something bothering her?" Steve squinted.

Ryan swallowed and looked down. He knew that Alexis would be angry with him if he told Steve the real truth, but at the same time he wanted to help her the best that he could.

"No." Ryan lied, still looking down at his feet.

Steve sighed and went to say something else, until Maria Hill came out of the elevator.

"Shall we talk?" Maria raised her eyebrows.

Steve nodded to the woman.

"We'll talk later, kid."

The two then went upstairs, leaving Ryan there standing alone.

Ryan exhaled, and tilted his head back, wondering if he did the right thing or if he should've given Steve more information.

"What was that all about?" Alexis asked from behind Ryan.

He spun around to look at her.

"Oh, um...nothing, I—. Just talking to the Captain. Now, don't you have to get upstairs? Come on!"

Ryan then grabbed Alexis's hand and started walking up the stairs with his hand in her's.

"Ryan, I can walk up the stairs on my own." She rolled her eyes and ripped her hand away.

"Fine. Did you have another one of those flashbacks last night?" Ryan asked.

"Not so loud!" She scolded. "But yes. And I hate the fact that you're calling them flashbacks."

"It's what they are, Alexis! And you should tell someone who isn't me!" Ryan whisper-shouted.

"It'll only make things worse! Everyone has enough to deal with, I should be the least of their worries." Alexis replied and started walking up the stairs.

Ryan shook his head and followed her.

"But this could be dangerous! What if...What if you die?" Ryan asked.

Alexis gave him a look, her eyebrows raised.

"Ryan, this isn't going to kill me. It'll go away on it's own." Alexis assured him.

"You don't know that for a fact." Ryan continued.

"Ryan, please, enough! I don't want to talk about it anymore. It's bad enough that I have to experience them every night, talking about them is just as bad!"