Chapter 3: A Mission with Kazuma

I was scanning the crowd of the guild when Kazuma called out to me.

"Oi, Yunyun and - Isaki, right?"

"Hm?" I turned to see Kazuma walking towards me. "Oh, yeah, and you're Kazuma?"

"Yep." Kazuma sat down at a nearby table and signaled Yunyun and I to sit with him.

"H-hi Kazuma!" Yunyun enthusiastically greeted. I could tell she had to prepare herself to greet Kazuma, and I could relate to her way too well.

"What're y'all doing here?" He asked us, but directed the question towards me specifically.

"Yunyun was going to teach me a skill," I answered casually. It surprised me how naturally I was able to talk to Kazuma.

Now that I think about it, I haven't felt awkward or anxious around Yunyun neither.

"Oh really? Well I've got some skill points saved up, why don't you teach the skill to me as well?" Kazuma asked.

"Mmph-!" Yunyun muffled.

"Yunyun? Are you alright?"

"Skill points-!" Yunyun blurted with a face of guilt.

"What's wrong? What about skill points?" Kazuma asked.

Skill points? What's the big deal? Wait a minute...

"Yunyun?" I called.

"Y-yes, Isaki?" Yunyun stuttered, avoiding direct eye contact with me.

"What are skill points?"

"W-well, I might've forgotten to tell you about skill points, haha..." Yunyun nervously laughed.

Does she think I'll get mad?

"Well, um, that's fine Yunyun. No need to look so nervous. Why don't you just fill me in right now?"

Yunyun sighed a long sigh of relief. Now I could tell why she looked so nervous. I'm one of her only friends, and she really doesn't want to mess it up, huh?

I'll have to make her feel more comfortable around me, easier said than done though. It's kind of crazy how I met her on my first day here, and I somehow was able to become one of her only friends. Maybe it's fate? Either way I sure am one lucky bastard to ha-

"Ay! Isaki! Helloooooo?" Kazuma waved his hand in my face (as one is instructed to do when someone is zoning out, it's Zoning Out 101) and snapped his fingers to get my attention.

I quickly broke out of my trance.

"Hm? Did I zone out?" I asked, suddenly unaware of anything that just happened.

"Yeah, you missed out on Yunyun's excellent explanation on how skill points work," Kazuma teased.

"It's not easy to explain, K-Kazuma!" Yunyun snapped. "Why don't you try it?"

"Skill points are points you get upon leveling up, you can use them to learn new skills or improve the skills you already have," Kazuma explained clearly, aiming his lecture towards me and then turning to Yunyun to taunt her.

Yunyun put on a pouting face for Kazuma. Kazuma and I looked at each other and agreed, without needing to speak, that her pouting face was extremely cute.

"And the only way to level up..."

"...is to do quests," Kazuma finished my sentence.