Chapter 8

Mason's P.O.V.

She unresponsive they said. The words continue as I sit on my bed contemplating what's going on. Isabelle forced me to come home at least for 1 hour.

They're certain she won't wake up they said.

I'm not sure how this happened. I mean, I am. But i'm not.

It's simple really. Overstimulation, acute cancer, and food positioning don't mix.

They said she was stressed about her chemical Or that's what they think. That the stress was causing her to have a high blood pressure. They know it. When they checked last time it was high.

The stress of cancer built up inside her and created high blood pressure. High blood pressure can mess with your heart. It's partially why she couldn't breathe.

Another part of it was the chemo wasn't working. Acute Myeloid Leukemia moves fast and is critical. Hers wasn't treated quickly enough. It caused her to have all the symptoms at the restaurant.

Last but not least, food poisoning. We had had eggs that morning and hers must not have been cooked all of the way through. It weakened her immune system and she was screwed over by then.

I hear Isabelle walk into the room and my head snaps up.

"You have to Mason." She hold outs the phone.

"If I call, will you not bother me? No offense to you. Your really nice and all and have done a lot for us, but I need time to think and be alone and not be bothered. Just give me a day."

"That's fine. Now call them."

I dial up the number I found online and call it. It picks up on the third ring.

"Boston City Police Department. How can we help?"

"I need tos peak with Julie Johnson and Ethan Johnson please."

"No can do. 1st degree murderers. Not happening."

"It's an emergency, please. Somethings going on with their daughter. My twin sister." He sighs and I can hear him moving down the hallway toying with the keys in his hands through the phone.

"You have 15 minutes." I hear him hand the phone over.

"Oh my goodness, Mason. How are you? Are you okay?"

"No mom. I'm not okay." I break down into tears. "1 month ago Claire was re-diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia mom." She gasps. "It had been there for 2-3 months and we hadn't known. They said she could've died any second. But she didn't." The words getter harder and harder to say. "Last night it caught up to her. The Leukemia was too fast and the chemo was doing nothing. She had just shaved her head last night." I can hear mom crying and my voice shakes. "She overstimulated. And had food poisoning, apparently." I take a deep breath. "She's unresponsive." I can hear mom scream over the phone. ANd then I hear her crying.

We sit right there for 5 minutes as she cries and I look at the clock. 10 minutes left.

"Mom. Why did you murder them?" She takes a deep breath, I can hear it.

"I didn't."

"What do you mean?"

"We were framed. We have a trial in 2 days. We were going to ask if you wnated to come to it."

"Maybe. We don't know when Claira's funeral will be," I say, wincing at the word funeral.

"She's not dead yet. Have some faith in your sister, jesus christ."

We talk for a couple of minutes and then she has to go.

"How'd it go?" Isabelle asks as she walks into the kitchen. I have my hands in my hair and elbwn on the table.