1

Esme's POV

I smelled the strong scent of human blood before I could hear the cries echoing throughout the forest.

Baby cries.

The first thought that came to mind was that someone was probably taking a walk with their child, but it seemed highly impossible judging by how dark this part of the forest was. If it weren't for vampire senses I'd get lost here myself.

The cries only got louder.

I knew I had to be home in a few minutes and Carlisle and I had already wandered off too far while hunting, but the crying had a magnetic pull on me. I found myself walking towards the source carefully for in case it was a trap or if a human was nearby. It led me straight to a shallow river that gracefully flowed through the trees and rocks. There was no one in sight.

The scent continued to a hollow tree near the riverbed, where only the corner of a basket stuck out. I already suspected what was inside. The cries proved me right. Lifting the lid, I was met by a red-faced baby, mouth wide agape as it forced the deafening cries from its lungs.

Immediately I scooped it up - a girl by the looks of her clothes - into my arms, thinking that it was too cold for her in the tree trunk. What could I do about that exactly? I was cold-skinned myself. Pushing the useless thoughts aside, I swayed back and forth, rocking her in a slow rhythm until the cries decreased. Finally, she fell silent and opened her eyes, a pair of crystal blue ones that were red splashed from the crying. She ushered a few more whines and grunts before closing her eyes again, crying from the start.

This was all new to me. Except for Renesmee, who was an easy baby considering the fact that she's a hybrid, I had no experience with babies. What do I do when they cry? Was she cold or hungry? Was she tired or did she need a diaper change? Where was Carlisle when I needed him?

I felt blissful satisfaction when seeing him emerge from the trees. His face was scrunched up in a curious frown as he approached me, never taking his eyes off the baby. I happily handed her to him, watching in awe as she immediately stopped crying when he wrapped her in his coat.

"Where did you -"

"She was abandoned," I said before he could finish his sentence, "There's no scent of another human anywhere near here and I found her in a basket. No blanket, no name tag, nothing."

Carlisle's eyes scanned the area in search for what I guessed was a parent or a sign of human life, but couldn't find any.

"We can't leave her here," he finally spoke, "She needs to be fed and changed. She's so cold."

I felt a tiny flicker of hope, "Are you saying we're keeping her?"

"I'm not certain. I doubt Jasper will agree on it, he's still struggling to control his bloodthirst."

I gently took the baby from his arms, making sure she's still warmly wrapped in the coat, "We better hurry then. It's getting colder."

We walked at a human pace through the forest, too afraid that running might scare the little thing or cause her to catch a cold. We arrived home a full hour later than we planned and promised. No one else except for Alice was waiting for us on the back porch, her golden eyes wide while staring at the tiny person in my hold.

"I had a vision," she explained and eyed the baby warily, her brows furrowed, "Although I couldn't see if we're keeping her or not. Should I gather the rest?"

Carlisle nodded silently and she sped off into the house. It wasn't long before I picked up the rest of my family's footsteps as they received the message.