24

The depressed feeling because of a date gone wrong, was unexplainable. All way I could think of explaining it was the feeling you get when you sign in for a competition and find out you didn't even qualify. One way or another, I had to face Caiden eventually. So, I just acted casual around him as if the kiss never happened. He didn't seem any different either, which was a huge relief. I'd hate to lose him as a friend.

However, all I could think of was Demetri, how his hands felt against my skin, how his cool breath mixed with mine when he leaned in, his lips on mine...

La tua cantante. I haven't given much thought to those words since Renesmee first spoke them, but somehow I got the feeling that they meant far more than just some sort of promise. Just a few nights ago, I started learning Italian and knew the basics, but could only find stuff about singers when typing in those certain words. Hopefully, I'll understand the meaning of it someday.

"What do you think, Grace?"

Kit's voice snapped me out of my little daydream and I frowned, "Sorry, what?"

"Ooh, thinking about your hunky hunk again?" Jamie wiggled her eyebrows, "No wonder you have that distant look in your eyes."

"What?" I defended, "No, never. And stop looking so deep in my eyes. It's creepy."

Kit smirked, "I was saying that maybe we should go dress shopping together this Saturday. You know, have a little girl's day out?"

"I thought you hate dresses?" I asked in surprise.

"You're rubbing off on me." Kit groaned, "I need to go see a doctor. Ooh, maybe your handsome dad, huh? Will he be able to fit me in somewhere?"

I laughed so hard my stomach ached, "You're crazy, you know that?"

When I opened my locker, a single note fell out. I picked it up and turned it over. Jamie and Kit were at my side in a flash and read it over my shoulder.

"You're amazing inside and out." Jamie read out loud, "Oh my tacos! He's so in love with you!"

I opened my mouth to tell her we're not rushing anything, when Caiden himself showed up, "That's for me to know and for you to dot dot dot." He smirked and gave me a quick hug, "Hey, what colour are you wearing to prom? I want to make sure I'll be your perfect match."

I faked a smile, "I have no idea, honestly. I'll text you once I've decided, okay?"

"Sure." He pressed a kiss to my forehead, "Now if you ladies will excuse me, I have to run off to football practice."

The three of us stared at his back as he jogged off towards the boys' locker room, although I was sure Kit was actually staring at his butt. Damn, I'm in some sticky mess. How can I tell a sweet, caring guy like Caiden that I just want to be friends, without breaking his heart? Pull yourself together, Grace Cullen! He's a big boy. He'll understand. I have bigger things to worry about.

"If we're going to go dress shopping together, Alice has to tag along." I told my two girls, "I kind of promised her we'll go dress shopping together."

"Hey, no prob." Jamie said, "Maybe she can help me choose a dress. I love her choice in clothes."

Kit's eyes got glued to something behind us and just by looking at her facial features changing, I knew it was the last person I wanted to see. Jezebel and her goons marched over to us, their heels clicking on the floor in an irritating tune. As always, they were dressed like ancient Greeks, tiny clothing pieces covered only the extremely necessary parts. She glared at me and rested her manicured hands on her hips.