18

Grace POV

The walk to Cory's house was cheery as we walked side by side like we've known each other for years. Jamie was a full out comedian and actually stopped to hug a few trees, giving meaning to the title 'tree hugger'. Kit was on her skateboard, holding on to Mikey as he pulled her around. Cory was in charge of some on-the-road tunes. I quickly learned that he was into Indie rock like Radiohead and American Authors.

"I bet Jezebel and her group of sour truffles don't do this every Friday." Jamie laughed hysterically as she hugged another tree, "I wonder if they even know how to shimmy?"

I chuckled at her silliness, "You do this every Friday?"

"Totally." Mikey answered, "Our favourite place to go, of course, is Cory's house, since his mom gets off late at work and we have the whole house to ourselves."

"Except for today." Cory reminded us, "She's off today."

"What do your parents do?" I asked to start a conversation.

Cory skipped the next song before answering, "Uh, mom owns a coffee shop nearby. Sometimes we meet up there and get free service. My dad kind of bailed on us when I was a baby. Apparently he's following his dream and plays guitar for famous country artists in America. That's where I got my sick guitar skills."

I frowned, "Sorry about your dad. I had no idea."

" Don't mention it. I don't care about him anyways."

I felt the urge to tell them that I'm adopted and that I don't even know who my biological parents are, but decided against it. It didn't feel like I'm adopted at all. I was actually happy with my life. If I told them they would feel sorry for me, and that was the last thing I wanted, it will seem like I was unhappy with my family. Forget I ever thought that.

"And the rest of your parents?" I asked instead.

"My mom's an artist." Kit spoke first, "She paints the weirdest paintings, some of naked people, other only have three rough lines, and then there are those I can't even make out what they are. My dad's an art professor at Cambridge. Yeah, they're made of the same feathers."

"You should see her house." Cory smirked, "It's like a modern art gallery slash mansion slash castle. I personally like to hang out there more."

I looked at Jamie and Mikey, "And you?"

"Dad's part of the special forces." Mikey said, "He's currently chief of police in the city. Mom's a kindergarten teacher. Average, I know. So, what do your parents do?"

I smiled, "My dad's a doctor, the best if you ask me. Mom's into architecture and indoor decor."

"Can't wait to see your house," Cory replied impressed.

My insides felt ice cold all of a sudden. If they took turns at visiting each other's houses, it only meant that I would get a turn as well. I live with a house full of vampires for Pete's sake! Sure, they've put up with me since I was a baby, but what if an extra human or four push them over the edge? It's one hell of a risk and I had no idea how to face it. Can't tell them 'no' or else they'll think I'm rude or selfish. Damn, Grace, think!

I didn't have time to figure out a plan. We've arrived at a normal-sized house with a massive tree on the front yard. It definitely looked cosy and homey, I almost felt like kicking my shoes off and run inside yelling 'I'm home!' The inside was just as I expected. Cosy. A normal, messy, homey atmosphere welcomed me, along with the mouthwatering aroma of cookies floating through the air. An average skinny woman, probably in her early forties, came out of the kitchen to greet us and I immediately saw the resemblance between her and Cory.