35

It was sunny for a change, but I knew it wasn't going to last long. My family and the guests were all probably indoors this very moment, waiting for the clouds to block the sun again.

I was driving home after taking another test while hoping that I'd pass it with flying colours. 'Second-year med student', I was proud to be called that. Only five more years of this and I'm going to be just like Dad. I'll be able to help people, heal them, take away most of their pain and much more. Dad always came home from work and told me about some of the interesting patients he had. Some got a pen stuck in their hands, while some accidentally stapled their fingers at work. There are sad stories as well, like the woman from last month who had a miscarriage. That immediately made me think of Jezebel.

Her baby girl's two years now and was absolutely adorable. She had Jezebel's dark hair and Luke's blue eyes. To think that she almost gave little Carmine up for adoption... I had a long talk with her, though, and convinced her to keep her baby. So, now she and Luke are playing house while her parents enjoy their granddaughter, in separate homes of course.

"I'm home!" I called for no reason.

Everyone could clearly hear my car coming from a mile away. However, the house was deadly quiet and made me suspect Emmett for planning a prank again. Also very unlikely, but with Emmett one could never be sure.

"Mom? Dad?" I called again, "Demetri?"

No answer. Then I caught the backdoor standing wide open, which was also unusual. They wouldn't have gone out, would they? Not in the sun. Even the garden was deserted.

"Jasper? Rose?" I called again.

That moment, my eye caught the fairy lights around one of the trees, leading to the forest. They weren't there when I left. I placed my handbag and backpack on the porch and decided to follow the rest of the lights.

It just went deeper and deeper into the forest, seeming to never end. Ten minutes into my little quest to find my family, I stumbled upon a basket in the middle of the road. A note was stuck on the top saying that I should take it with me. The fairy lights continued, though. I followed it for probably another five minutes through a part of the woods I've never seen before. Trust me, Demetri and I explored these woods several times and I was almost sure I knew it like the back of my hand.

Suddenly, the lights stopped at a small clearing. There was nothing to be seen there, except for a narrow creek and...

I frowned when seeing a handmade tent under a tree just a few feet from where I was. It was basically just sheets and blankets thrown over a string that was tied around the two trees on either sides. Inside there were more blankets and pillows that looked incredibly inviting and comfy. My feet automatically strolled towards the tent when the cherry on top emerged from behind it.

"Took you long enough to get here." Demetri smirked and approached me slowly, "I almost went out to track you down, just in case you got lost."

"You did this?" I asked in awe and stole another look at the lights and tent.

"You see anyone else out here, princess?" He gently took the basket from my hand and placed in inside the tent, "Well, except for this. Esme did the food part."

He had me speechless there, so I just followed him in and sat down on the nearest pillow. Demetri settled behind me and I was overly conscious of his cold hands on my shoulders, massaging away all my tense muscles. It was total bliss, but he was acting strange and it bugged me. He was too quiet and too careful. He didn't even kiss me hello yet.

"How was the test?" He asked and broke most of the silence.

"Uh, great." I muttered and closed my eyes as his hands worked wonders on my lower back, "Two practical tests left for the year."

"And your friends? How are they?"

Another funny thing, he never asked about my friends' well-being before.

"They're good, I guess."

Again silence filled the tent. I reached for the basket and started snacking on whatever goodies Mom packed. When he was done massaging my back, he parted my hair to the other side of my head. I inhaled sharply as I felt his cool breath on the soft skin at the crook of my neck, before feeling his cold lips lightly graze the spot. His lips would graze my skin before placing a soft kiss that sent sparks and tingles through my body. His lips trailed down my neck to my shoulder and moved on to the next one. By now I've forgotten all about the snacks in the basket and let my hands rest on his legs on either side of me. His arms snaked around my waist from behind and pulled me closer into him. A soft sigh escaped my mouth when his fangs grazed the spot under my ear.

"Demetri..."

"Shh." His voice sent vibrations over my skin, "I'm in control now."

This was a whole new side of him that I've never known. An irresistible, hot, sexy, dominant side that I couldn't wait to get to know. His fangs seemed to press a little harder into my neck and I just had to trust that he was fully in control. I tilted my head to the side and felt the sharp sting as he slightly bit down. Two rivulets of blood trailed down my shoulder. A jolt of pleasure electrocuted every atom of my being when I felt Demetri's tongue over my neck and shoulder, licking up the little blood that escaped his love bite. He inhaled deeply as he savoured the taste of the blood that could send him over the edge.

"Do I taste good enough?" I flirted and ran my hands up his thighs.

"Your blood makes me wonder what the rest of you taste like." He growled and flipped me over in a flash.

I suddenly felt hot and flushed as he crawled over me like a predator, and for the first time, I noticed that his eyes were pitch black. His one hand slid my shirt off my one shoulder while the other one supported him to stay above me. I bit down my tongue as his lips kissed the tender spot between my shoulder and collarbone, trailing down and down to the soft skin just above my breast. His kisses just went lower, over my shirt until he reached my stomach. Our eyes locked for a short few seconds as his hands slowly rolled up the hem of my shirt to expose my stomach and naval.

Demetri's hands gently slipped underneath my thighs as he lowered his head and blew his cool breath over my stomach. My toes curled and I grabbed fists full of blankets as his lips came in contact with that sensitive spot, and I literally squirmed underneath him. He was driving me insane in his little game, or whatever he was doing. Kissing every inch of my neck, shoulders and stomach, everywhere except my lips. His lack of flirting and talking also still scrambled my thoughts with questions, all to the point where it drove me over the edge.

"Demetri, I don't know what you're doing but please, I want you," I begged and tangled my fingers in his hair.

Suddenly his mouth was gone and I was pulled to my feet in a swift motion. His black eyes slowly turned crimson again as he stared at me with a mix of emotions I couldn't read.

"Good." He finally spoke, "Because I want you, too. You're the only one I've ever wanted, Grace. I yearned for you, craved for you. It's a hunger that's insatiable, a passion that burns hotter than fire. I've waited twenty years to satisfy this craving and now I think the time is right."

I felt my heart jump like the cow over the moon when he got down on one knee and pulled a silver box out of his jacket pocket. As he slowly opened it, I could just see the gleam of a ring inside. This was really happening! And here I was thinking he was talking about our 'first time'...

"Grace Cullen." Demetri called me by my full name, "I've been a Casanova for almost two thousand years, leading woman after woman into my room without knowing what it felt like to be in love because I didn't know if I would ever find my mate. Then I saw you. I walked right into love with you, Grace, and I can't wait to experience the road to our forever with you by my side, every step of the way. So, I'm asking you on my knees, Grace Cullen, if you'll marry me and make me the happiest and luckiest man in the world?"

I didn't know what to do. Laugh? Cry? Jump into his arms? Oh screw this, I'll do all of them! Demetri's arms wrapped around me securely as I hugged him tightly.

"Yes." I said into his ear, "A million times yes!"

He smiled and slipped the ring over my finger, before cupping my face and kissing me passionately. Very, very passionately.