Part 4: The Right Dress

We were waiting for the food to arrive. It took some time, because they made the pancakes fresh for their customers.
While we were waiting a man approached us.
"Mason", he said "Long time no see."
"Josh", mason replied flatly. He stood up and wanted to shake the man's hand, but he pulled him into a bro hug. Mason seemed lightly annoyed and uncomfortable.
"I see you already brought your breakfast", the man chuckled looking at me. I stiffened a bit at his statement.
"I'm Josh", he said and held out his hand for me to shake it. I hesitantly shook his hand. Mason seemed to feel that I was uncomfortable.
"This is Brook", Mason said "She's an old friend."
"I see", Josh smirked "If you ever need favor or something. I accept even small offers." Saying the last sentence, he stroked his fingers over my neck. My eyes widened in shock.

But what shocked me more was the growl Mason let out.
"She doesn't need a favor, Josh", he growled "she has me and I don't need anything in return."
Masons stare at Josh looked like it was piercing through his soul. Josh got uncomfortable and changed the topic.

"I'm sorry", he apologized "Mason, I didn't know you have a day off today. When can I reach you? We need to talk about our business."
"Not this week, Josh. I have much to do this week. I will call you next week", Mason sounded pissed.
"Okay", Josh replied "But there is something else."
"What?"
"My parents are having a party tomorrow. You are invited. Just like the rest of your family. You can bring your friend if you want too. I hope you can make it even though you are a busy man", Josh smirked
"We will see", Mason replied, and Josh went away after replying with an "okay".

"I'm sorry", Mason said to me "Josh is a business partner and a friend of my family. He always plays with women for their blood. But I won't let him bite you."
I nodded in response.

Soon our food arrived, and Mason was right. It was delicious. I knew the taste. I was right, I ate them before.
"And?", Mason asked.
"Tasty", I smiled at him and took a sip of my coffee.
"I told you its tasty", he laughed.
It was a nice breakfast. The best I ever had.

After we finished eating, we just drank our coffee.
"I have a question", Mason stated, and I nodded showing him to continue.
"The party", he continued "Would you go with me?"
My eyes widened.
"A party?", I said "I don't know. Wouldn't it be weird for you to take a maid with you?"
"Well... it would be even more weird if I attend alone again", he sighed "What do you think? We don't need to pretend to be something and I will protect you."
"So, there will be more vampires?", I asked.
"Yes", he answered "It's a vampire party."

He explained to me that it was more like a business party. Something fancy at a bar his parents owned. Josh's parents just rented it for their party.
He told me that the vampires there were very elegant, and they wouldn't drink from a human. Some of them even had human partners.

After he told me more about it, I agreed. What could happen there? He was there to protect me if something would happen. But this was very unlikely.

He paid for our breakfast and we went to his car.
I noticed that he wasn't driving to the mansion, he was driving somewhere else.
"Where are we going", I asked.
"You need something to wear for tomorrow", he flatly replied.
"What?"
"I know a small boutique. We will find something to wear for you there."

The small boutique he was talking about was out of town. It wasn't as small as I imagined but it wasn't a big shop either. He opened the door for me again and we approached the boutique.

I was looking at the window and saw a black dress. It was beautiful, but out of my league. It was long and black, but it had two parts in the front that looked like it was ombre. It was black at the top and became white at the bottom. It had just small ornaments on the waist part and on the right shoulder. The left shoulder and the back were exposed. There was light fabric hanging down on the back.
It was beautiful, but not the right for a business party I guessed.

We got inside and a woman greeted us.
"Hello, Master Young", she said "How can I help you?"
"There is a party tomorrow and we need a dress for my friend", he replied.
"Okay. I guess it is a business party?", she asked.
"Yes"

The woman searched through clothes rails and took out some dresses.
The first one she showed us was a shot red dress.
"No", Mason said "We don't want her to scream the word "dinner", right?"
The woman nodded and put the dress away.
The next dress was purple and very tight. It was also short.
"No. Too tight and too short", Mason stated.
The next one was green like a frog.
"I don't want her to look like a frog", Mason sighed as if he read my mind. I chuckled a bit.

These were all dresses she found. She seemed helpless now. Not knowing what she could show us she started to shiver and ran around the room.
"I'm sorry", she apologized more than once "I don't know if I have the right dress."
"Hmmm", Mason hummed "What about the black one you can see through the window?"
The woman nodded and headed to a storage room.

My eyes widened in shock.
"w
What's wrong?", he asked me.
"N- nothing", I stuttered, and he chuckled.
"I heard how your heart started to beat faster when you looked at it", he said "I know that it's the right one."
I wasn't able to say something.

The woman came back with the dress laying over her arms.
"The one on the mannequin wouldn't fit. It's too small. I got a bigger one. Your friend is very tall", she said shily.

She was right. I was tall. Very tall. I was even taller than Marie or my mother, but I wasn't taller than Mason either.

"Go and try it on", Mason said "Amber will help you."
The woman, I guessed she was Amber, nodded at me and motioned me to follow her.

I put the dress on. It fitted perfectly. Like it was made for me.
"Miss", Amber said "you look gorgeous."
"Thank you", I smiled and stepped out of the small changing room.

Mason was looking at some shoes when he heard me clearing my throat.
He turned around.
"Hey what do you think about- ", he stopped in the middle of the sentence, his mouth was wide open.
"Do you think it's okay?", I asked.
"Okay?", he replied "You look so beautiful. This is the one. We are taking the dress. Or aren't you comfortable?"
I shook my head.
"It's perfect", I said, and he nodded in response.

After I changed back into my normal clothes, he showed me some black shoes. They had a heel, but it wasn't too high. I tried them on, and they fitted too.
He decided that we would take the dress and the shoes.

"Would you wait for me in the car?", Mason suddenly asked "I will pay them, then I'm coming okay?"
I nodded and walked out. He had unlocked the car doors for me before, so I could get in. It was quiet in the car and I thought about so many things.
Why did he do all of this? He literally treated me like I was his girlfriend, but I was just his maid.

After some minutes he came back and placed the suit bag with the dress and the carton with the shoes in the trunk and sat on the driver's seat.
"Thank you", I whispered.
"You're welcome", he laughed "But this is nothing."

We drove home and it was already afternoon. Marie was free now and I just hoped that she wouldn't freak out like that, but all my hope was for nothing. When we arrived, I saw her already standing in front of the door, impatiently waiting for us.
"She is very worried about you", Mason said.
"I'm sorry", I replied.
"Don't be. It's funny."
He just laughed and we drove inside the garage. I walked out just to see Marie running to me.

"I'm sorry for being rude, Master Young", she bowed to Mason "I just wanted to warn Brook."
"What's wrong?", he asked.
"Some maids were talking badly, because of your and Brooks absence", she said slowly.
"Good that you tell me this", he replied to Marie before he turned to me.
"If something happens don't hesitate to call me", he said, and I nodded.
"Don't worry", I assured him.
"Okay", he smiled "Come to my office tomorrow at three in the afternoon to get ready. You have nothing to do before that. Just rest a bit before we go and sleep as long as you want."
I nodded before Marry and I went to our room together.