Excalibur

Arabella's P.O.V

I stand beside Morgana, a joyful smile evident on my face as I watch my brother kneel before my father. At this point Arthur has just been claimed the Crown Prince of Camelot. The room bursts into a chorus of applause and I can see Arthur looking proudly at the people before him. He turns and looks at me, my smile grows and he smiles back. I turn my attention to Merlin, who is stood with Gwen, we lock eyes and share a smile, both proud of Arthur. Morgana and I begin to talk about what Arthur's new responsibilities will be and how much more of an annoying jerk he is going to become. I laugh when Morgana says "Isn't he already annoying enough?" Out of nowhere, glass shards fly uncontrollably and rapidly through the air, screams of fear and pain can be heard. I look towards the source to see the back window of the hall has been completely demolished. Arthur as well as the other knights pull out their swords, ready to fight this unwanted guest. I start to walk backwards away from Morgana to get my own sword but Morgana shakes her head at me and I stand beside her once more. The intruder I can see is a dark knight who sits proudly on top of it's horse. The intruder gets closer to the knights, the bystanders in the room running back behind them for safety. The knight stops just in front of Arthur and throws down their gauntlet at Arthur's feet. My heart stops and my eyes widen in fear. I then see Sir Owain pick up the piece of armour and declare jibs fate. "No," I whisper before hiding my face in Morgana's shoulder as she pulls me into a hug. I get that it is the knights' duty to protect Camelot but I want just for once that no one will get hurt. I hear the Knight clarify the challenge and I pull away from the hug when I hear him say "to the death". My heart sinks down to my stomach as I know for certain someone is going to get hurt. I leave the hall, refusing to look at anyone in the hall and I head towards my chambers.

I hear a knock at my chamber door as I sit at my window. "Enter," I say my voice just above a whisper. I don't turn around when I hear the person enter. "Arabella, are you okay?" I hear Arthur say behind me. "He doesn't deserve this, he shouldn't have picked up the gauntlet!" I say quietly, traces of anger, disguised within the sadness of my voice. I hear Arthur sigh. "I know but he has to accept the fight, it's the Knight's code." "So what? He is a good man, all of the knights are! Just because the code says he has to fight no one cares if he gets hurt."
"He knew what he was getting into when he picked it up!" Arthur replies. "Just leave me alone Arthur," I say, still refusing to look at him. I hear the door slam behind me.

The next day

I sit anxiously in the stands, my hands shaking as fear consuming my body. I look at Morgana and Gwen beside me, both of them with emotionless expressions like mine. Arthur declares that the fight has started and both competitors attack each other viciously. It is obvious that Owain is losing as the intruder attacks even more violently. Owain continues to stand his ground and makes a sharp blow into the intruder. A feeling of hope takes over as Owain had hit the intruder with a fatal blow. The hope soon leaves as I notice the Knight has not been injured. Out of shock, Owain begins to lose again as I see the Knight keep attacking him before I see Owian drop to the floor, scarlet liquid surrounding him as the Knight gives him another fatal blow. I hear the crowd exclaim sadly as I put my head in my hands, refusing to look at the scene in front of me. I raise my head to see the Knight through the gauntlet again. Arthur angrily gets up only for father to pull him back down. Feeling all the courage left in me, I stand up, ready to pick up the gauntlet. I feel everyone's eyes on me but I didn't care I didn't want anyone else to die. I go to jump over the stand when Gwen catches my arm, which bought enough time for Sir Pellinor to pick the gauntlet up. I sigh in defeat and sit back down. Once the Knight leaves I can feel my father's piercing glare on me as well as Arthur's.

I follow an angry Arthur as we follow father. "Why did you stop me?" Arthur exclaims angrily.                                                          "We have to give the knights a chance to prove themselves." Arthur then tells father that Pellinor is injured and that he is just sending him to his death. The attention then turns to me. "Why did you go to pick it up?" Father exclaims, fury consuming him. "This is for knights and your are not a knight! You never will be!" "I know that but I just wanted no more good men to be sent to their deaths!" "You would have been killed instead you do understand that?" "Yes." Father looks at me in shock and so does Arthur at my willingness to die for him.       "Well then you're just as stupid as your mother was! You are a lady start acting like it!" Father replies before leaving. I stand their in shock before running out of the room, my eyes glossy at the mention of my mother. I know that I don't even know her I still love her and I don't like when my father talks about her like she was nothing.

I sit on my bed, brushing my hair, tears slowly falling. I hear a knock and I just let the person come in. Merlin. He looks at my sad figure and sits beside me on the bed. "Why did you do it?" "I didn't want anyone else to suffer," I reply, looking at him. "Don't you think people will have suffered if you accepted and died in battle."
"Thanks for underestimating my fighting skills Merlin," I reply, laughing slightly. "Now did you come here to lecture me or do you have any interesting news about this strange knight." Merlin begins to explain that Gaius thinks the knight is already dead and that he is Arthur's uncle. I look at him in shock before leaving with him to see another fight.

I sit in the stands once again as I watch the torture begin. As the fight goes on we definitely see Pellinor's sword go into the dead knight. Everyone thinks the fight is over until the knight attacks and kills Pellinor. I freeze in shock and I turn to see Arthur throw his own gauntlet down. Arthur challenges the knight. "No!" I yell. "I will take Arthur Pendragon's place!" I continue. I feel everyone's stares on me as I stand proudly at my choice. "So be it, Arthur Pendragon," the knight says. He turns to me. "If Arthur Pendragon loses the fight or refuses to fight I will fight you, Arabella Pendragon." The knight leaves as I feel my heart sink but I know what I have done is right.

I stand in the throne room as I see Arthur enter. "How could you be so stupid?" He exclaims to me. I roll my eyes at him when I see father enter the room. "How could you two be so stupid?" father says. "Arthur you are the Crown Prince of Camelot, I forbid you to fight." "If you do that, that means Arabella will have to fight and that is not going to happen!" "Arabella I told you to start acting like a lady and this is what you go and do!" Father shouts at me. "Well at least if I did fight and die, you would still have your heir! After all, I am still only your illegitimate daughter," I sneer at them before turning to leave. I stop at the doors. "I was only doing what is best for my family and for Camelot, by trying to keep Arthur alive." I say before slamming the doors behind me.

I change into armour before staring out of my window. I grab my sword as I leave the room, heading towards the courtyard. I pass Morgana on my way, I smile at her when she grabs me and pulls me into a tight hug. "I don't want Arthur to fight and I don't want you to fight!" she exclaims. "We'll be okay Morgana, I promise" I lie, tears falling from my face as I know this is my fate to fight for Arthur. I pull away, smiling sadly as I head to go and train.

I train for hours practicing my technique for the battle. I notice Gaius coming towards me and as he does so i strike hard into the air and i feel a sharp pain race through my arm. "Seems like you may have hurt yourself my lady." Gaius says analysing my arm. "I'm fine Gaius!" I say, looking at him. I then notice he is holding a cup. He offers it to me and I gladly take it. I drink the entirety and I slowly feel my body becoming numb. "Gaius.." I trail off before everything goes black.

I wake up to the sound of combat and I immediately assume the worse. I rush to my window to see my father and the knight fighting. I run to my door, pulling at it with all my strength but it is locked. I go back to my window to see that father has destroyed the knight. I sigh in relief that no one has been hurt.

I hear the door unlock and I hear two people enter. I turn to see father and Arthur. I rush towards my father, pulling him into my arms. "I am so sorry father, I just wanted to prove to you that I would die for what was right which is protecting Camelot!" "I know, you and Arthur are my children and I would do anything to protect you." I smile before bringing Arthur into the hug. We pull away and I push my father gently. "You had Gaius drug me!"
Not just you, me as well, " Arthur exclaims. We then all burst into laughter. "Also you could never had fought against that knight, you can't even beat me or better yet catch me!" Arthur taunts me.
"You want to say that again, Arthur Pendragon," I say, looking him dead in the eye. Arthur turns to father.
"Should I run?" Father nods and Arthur quickly leaves. I follow him, running after him, laughing hysterically as I hear father's laughter echoing behind us. I keep running before tackling Arthur to the ground, outsode of his chambers. I roll off of him and lay beside him, laughter still consuming us. Merlin opens the chamber door, laughing along with us.