The Gates of Avalon

Arabella's P.O.V
I wake up, ready for the day. I get dressed and I hear from the maids that my brother has gone hunting with Merlin. I wish he had invited me but I guess I'm not allowed to as that is not how "proper ladies" act.
I leave my room to find my brother walking into the castle with a beautiful young lady and a man with her, I suppose it is her father. I see Merlin following behind so I go up to him. "Merlin who is that woman?" "She's a girl Arthur just rescued on our hunting trip," Merlin replies. I look at him with a understanding look and I follow him inside the castle.

I stand in the throne room next to Arthur as I listen to the man introduce himself as Aulfric and that the woman beside him is his daughter Sophia. I see my brother continue to glance at Sophia and a knowing smile forms on my face. Father then says that they can stay a while, to take a break from their journey. Sophia turns back and looks at me and I give her a reassuring smile which she returns. "Arabella, go with the Lady Sophia and help her get settled," Father says to me and I walk out the room Sophia and her father following behind me.

I escort Sophia to her room and we step inside. "I hope the room is to your satisfaction," I say to her and she looks at me with a grateful smile. "It's perfect!" We hear a knock at the door and Sophia goes and retrieves from a servant an extra blanket for the night. "We give an extra blanket to all our guests as it gets particularly cold at night," I inform her. She nods her head in response. "Now my brother's chambers is next door and my chambers is a few doors down so we are here if you need anything," I say to her. "Thank you, you have been so kind to me. Do you mind being my friend while I stay here?" She asks and I say "Of course. I would prefer that then you be lonely!"
We stay talking for hours, she really is a kind girl. I excuse myself as it begins to get dark. I leave the room and I make my way to Gaius' chambers to see Merlin.

I arrive and I greet Gaius with a hug. I start to walk up to Merlin's room and Gaius tells me to not go in there. I ignore him and as I open the door I see objects floating in the air, clothes folding themselves and Merlin sat on his bed reading a book. I gasp so loudly Merlin looks up and all the floating objects drop to the flow with a loud BANG! "Arabella I can explain!" I shut the door behind me and I sit on the edge of his bed. "So explain," I demand, looking at him dead in the eyes. He sighs and explains to me that he was born with magic and that he is normally more careful. He finishes his story with him saying for me not to think of him differently. A smile grows on my face and he looks confused. "Merlin I love magic! I have ever since I was a child. I caught Gaius using magic and now you. I would never think of you differently as I didn't Gaius." So you won't tell anyone?" Merlin asks nervously. "No! I wouldn't! Your secret is safe with me." He smiles gratefully at me and takes me into his arms. I hug him back and as I break the hug I kiss him on the cheek. My cheeks go red as well as his. "Now tell me about my brother! I can tell her likes Sophia!" Merlin laughs at my eagerness to know about my brother's personal life and he nods stating that I am correct about my brother's feelings towards Sophia. Merlin and I talk for a little longer before I leave to head back to my chambers. As I leave I promise one last time that I won't tell anyone about his magic.

The next day
I go into Morgana's chambers to find her staring out of her window, Gwen behind her. "What have I missed?" Gwen turns around and says that Morgana had a dream of Sophia drowning Arthur. I look in shock and I state that Sophia seems like a nice girl. Morgana looks at me with a disgusted look and I shrug my shoulders. "You have always been so naive, trusting everyone you meet," Morgana says turning back away from me. "Yes that is true but where would we be now if I hadn't have trusted you when you first arrived at the castle!" I fire back at Morgana, she looks at me in shock but then pulls me into a hug, implying that she is sorry for her outburst. I hug back and then Gwen suggests when we break form the hug that we should tell the king about Morgana's ability to supposedly see the future. Morgana says that it is a bad idea as he hates magic. I suggest we sort this our ourselves. They both nod in agreement.