Chapter 5

My eyes opened, with the bright sun on my eyes, making me swear under my breath, and remember where I was. The sun burned my eyes, as I lay in a shallow pit. Something like a grave, but enough where I could get myself back out, or climb out like a zombie as it comes back alive. The book was still under my arm, as it was last night.

I stood up, groaning as I did, and wiped the dead crippled leaves from my jeans, that I had changed behind a tree, while Matt whined that we're wasting night light. I complained that he had made that up, and-

Wait where was Matt? I moved out of the hole, and stood around. At the break of daylight, calling out a name would be bad. I wandered in the direction we had been heading in last night, maybe I would see a foot or something sticking out of the ground.

Something flickered in the corner of my eye. I spun around seeing a brushed off stick, stick up from the ground. With a small flicker on it. I leaned down, placing the book on the ground and picked the stick up as if it were a wish flower, being careful not to let the wishes fly away.

I touched the flame, I felt a slight tingle on the tip of my finger. I decided to pinch my fingers against the flame. Once I let it go, it was still there. Using my hands, I stole a small bubble from the ground, and brought it up to the flame, and dragged the the bubble over the fire, causing it to go out.

A quick gasp from air screamed behind me, as leaves were crunched under what was on them. I spun around just in time to see Matt sit up, like a zombie from the grave.

"You scared me!" I cried, clinging onto the stick and picking up my father's book.

"You almost killed me!" He cried. He stood up, brushing the leaves off his pants.

"You can-" I looked at the stick, that was in my hand. "Do this, while asleep?"  I asked, questioning the fact how he can control fire when he is in his deepest sleep.

"It's easy." He explained, by not at all explaining. "You'll learn, if you have to go to the deepest of the temples." He said, taking the stick from my hand, and slipping it into his back pocket. He flipped his hood over his head, hiding his flamy hair. I did the same, hiding my light locks. inside the hood, I could see Matt and his struggle with hiding his hair. Once his face was hidden, I felt like he was a stranger again.

We continued walking in the direction we were headed last night.

"How do you know where we're heading?" I asked, feeling warm in my hood.

"I've found the forest temple before. Couldn't go anywhere through it without a second person." I stumbled, to cling on to the book. "What is with that book?" He bugged.

"My dad made it, for when I had to battle the king." I told Matt.

"So its like a how to guide to defeating Steel?" Matt asked. "During the check ups, how did this make it around that stuffy nosed king?" He glared at it like it had magical powers that would grant any human the a second chance at life. "No, don't answer that. Answer, how you got around checkups?" Matt bugged.

"My dad was close with the king, and when the king wanted to see his daughter, he would use some strange excuse. Flue, fever, Wild Jack Dog's are surrounding the house. Until I died." This one shocked him.

"Hold up died?" He asked.

"It's a long story." I told him.

"We have a good 24 hours till we reach the next temple. You have time." Matt explained, and I let out a slow breath.

"Well, When I was young, like 13." I started, as we continued down the boarder line of the dry grass.

I lay in bed, trying to fix my position.