◤ the meeting ◢

In the room, there was a single thing. A bed. And on that bed, with one leg up, was a man. He had a black suit on. It looked like a Reserve Course uniform. His hair was long, and his eyes.

He had red, piercing eyes.

But they were looking at the floor.

"Kamukura! Shut up, it's really you!" Junko exclaimed, she was clearly ecstatic.

The man, Kamukura, as Junko keeps calling him, just looked at us. At Junko, at Mukuro, but his eyes lingered on me.

It made me nervous.

"OMGGGG! This is awesome!!" She exclaimed again, but he stayed silent. Junko didn't stop fangirling there. "Kamukura, Kamukura yass queen!! I'm such a big fan! Not to sound all suckery, but can I get a hug?!"

Kamukura kept his eyes trained on me. I took a small step back, closer to Mukuro.

"Uhh, Junko? Seems like he might be a little dangerous." She said, noticing my nervous demeanor.

"Yeah, I know! Uh, dangerously kickass, dangerously gorgeous!" Junko squealed, not even turning to look at the two of us.

That's not really what I meant... he's looking at [N-"

"Fat stupid ugly people need to shut. up." Junko snapped, glaring back at Mukuro. The black haired girl didn't seem very offended though, she counted off the terms on her fingers.

"Fat. Stupid. Ugly. That's me in a nutshell." She sighed happily.

"Anyway," Junko walked closer to him. "Kamukura, good sir, pleasure to meetcha! I'm Junko Enoshima, from the 78th class. This may sound weird, but you've been on my mind a lot lately!"

His gaze finally shifted away from me. I stepped closer to Mukuro anyway.

Junko then sighed and put a hand on her hip, her other hand waving at nothing. "The muckity mucks have you stored away like a third world quarantine baby, so not your style, pretty boy! I mean, look at this! You're virtually oozing with potential!"

Nothing showed on his face.

She then leaned away from him. I couldn't see it, but I could feel her smiling that creepy smile. "So, like, sayyy, death could come for you like a thief in the night leaving the world to watch in despair!"

Then she attempted the most reckless thing I've ever seen her do.

She pulled out an ice pick and tried to stab Kamukura. But he was a step ahead of her. He quickly rose his foot and knocked her down, his foot firmly on her back.

"J-Junko!" I yelled. His eyes rose to me, I covered my mouth. Mukuro wasn't having it, though.

"You son of a-" She started, pulling out her knife and rushing at him. But he threw her against the wall.

All of that with his eyes on me.

"Are you going to try and attack me." It sounded like a question, but his voice was so monotone that not even the author could put a question mark.

Mukuro was out cold.

Junko was restrained.

I'm just in the Reserve Course. What can I do?

That's why I shook my head as frantically as I possibly could.

Kamukura just looked disappointed.

"This is boring." His voice sent chills down my spine. "You do realize that nothing you do has any meaning." He said, looking down at Junko.

That's when Junko began to laugh. She laughed and laughed, causing Kamakura to step on her harder. She just continued to laugh in pain.

"I knew you were a fellow nihilist! This is marvelous! I've reached an all time low! But the thing is, Kamukura darling, no one person should claim a monopoly on despair! It belongs to everyone!" She said, pounding on the ground.

"Despair. From a logical perspective, there seems no emotion less essential." He said, his eyes still trained on her.

Junko laughed again. "Logical perspective! You crack me up! Alright then, explain how I came to be in this position? What's your Vulcan gestalt say about that?!" She smirked.

"Junko Enoshima... your capacity for cold hard reasoning puts you at least twelve steps ahead in any situation. And yet here you are, knowing full well there's no way you can win. You've brought people to suffer with you, knowing it wouldn't end well." He said, looking at me once more.

"Awww... you really don't get it. Guess when it comes to cold hard reasoning not all roads lead to Rome." Junko said. Her eyes darkened as her voice got serious.

"You see... despair is the great unknown. A girl can only be this smart for so long before ennui sets in. That's the curse of being bright. Everyone goes on and on about hope, but what they REALLY mean is the status-quo."

I saw Mukuro start moving again.

His eyes are still on me.

Junko started her cutesy voice.

"Ah, but despair is the big old mystery box! There's nothing like it to get the blood pumping, the synapse firing, the senses tingling... it straight up shatters the status-quo and paves the way for chaos! Think about it, when a single assassin's bullet can plunge humanity into world war, none of us are as far from the abyss as we'd like to tell ourselves! Embrace that simple fact and ah! You're in for the ride of your life! Look at me, every nerve ending is at eleven! Despair did that!"

His eyes finally left me and flickered back down to Junko.

Junko went back to seriousness.

"Come on, pumpkin pie~"

I saw his eyes slightly widen at this nickname.

"Some part of you has to understand. They call you the world's hope, Izuru Kamukura. And who am I to say you're not the savior. Therein lies the. Hope only gets us as far as what we t h i n k we want. Safety... tranquility... boredom." Junko's eyes landed on me. Her eyes were beginning to swirl with despair, insanity.

"Come on... Nirvana looks great on paper but for someone of your intelligence? It's more like purgatory~ you're better than that."

Red lights started flashing and the alarm started going off.

Mukuro began to panic. "They know we're here! Junko, we have to make a break for it, now!"

But Junko ignored her.

"YOU'RE A GOD AMONG INSECTS KAMUKURA, OF COURSE YOU'RE BORED! THE WORLD'S AN ANT FARM!! EMBRACE DESPAIR AND WE'LL SHATTER THE GLASS TOGETHER! I AM YOUR SALVATION! IT'S FATE!! WE WERE DESTINED TO WALK HAND IN HAND, TELL ME YOU DON'T FEEL IT!" Junko yelled, I could see it. She had completely drifted into despair, and she wanted him to come with her.

But he kicked her square in the face.

"Junko! Noo!" Mukuro yelled, crawling over and turning Junko to face her. She cradled her in her lap.

But I was frozen. I stared at Kamukura, and he stared at me.

"When she wakes up, give her a message from me. I'll be waiting. Here. With her." Kamukura pointed...

At me.