thirteen

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

TONY PRIES DOUBLE doors open with his hands inside they are greeted by a defensive Steve and Bucky holding a large gun.

Tony walks towards Steve and Bucky and retracts the suit's helmet, "you seem a little defensive." The billionaire comments.

Bucky keeps his gun up while Steve walks to meet Tony with his shield covering his body.

"It's been a long day."

Tony holds a hand up gesturing to Bucky, "at ease, soldier. I'm not currently after you."

"Then why are you here?"

"Could be that your story's not so crazy. Maybe. Ross has no idea I'm here. I'd like to keep it that way. Otherwise, I gotta arrest myself."

Meredith pulls on her leather jacket, underneath it is her suit.

"Well, that sounds like a lot of paperwork." He lowers his shield. "It's good to see you, Tony."

"you too, Cap. Hey, Manchurian Candidate, you're killing me. There's a truce here. You can drop."

Steve signs to Bucky to lower his weapon and he does.

"Mere." Bucky acknowledges her and she flinches slightly, the nickname sounded so foreign coming from his mouth.

the four of them cautiously walk along a corridor. T'Challa in his Black Panther suit is hiding around a corner, watching them.

With his helmet and face plate re-engaged Iron Man leads Steve, Bucky and Meredith towards the enormous chamber with the capsules standing in it.

"I got heat signatures."

"how many?" Meredith questions cautiously pulling the elastic band out of her hand.

"uh, one."

As they enter the vast chamber the lights come on. Hazy, yellow mist descends from the capsules. As well as Josef, each one contains an enhanced soldier from the 1991 experiment. Steve and the others look around, bewildered.

"If it's any comfort, they died in their sleep." All of the enhances soldiers have been shot in the head. Bucky stares at Josef's corpse. "Did you really think I wanted more of you?"

"what the hell?"

"Im grateful to them, though. They bought you here." Zemo appears in a control room. Steve hurls his shield but it flies back.

"please, captain. The soviets built this chamber to withstand the launch blast of UR-100 rockets."

"I'm betting i could beat that." Tony speaks oozing confidence.

"Oh, I'm sure you could, Mr Stark. Given time. But then you'd never know why you came."

"you killed innocent people in Vienna just to bring us here." Black Panther watches from the shadows. Steve looks at Zemo through a window.

"I thought about nothing else for over a year. I studied you. I followed you. But now that you're standing here, I just realised... there's a bit of green in the blue of your eyes. How nice to find a flaw."

Meredith was visibly confused.

"you're sokovian. Is that what this is about?"

Zemo shakes his head, "Sokovia was a failed state long before you blew it to hell. No. I'm here because I made a promise."

Steve studies Zemo, "you lost someone?"

He looks grave, clicks his tongue "I lost everyone. And so will you." He plays surveillance footage from December 16th 1991. Steve steps over to the screen.

"An empire toppled by it's enemies can rise again. But one which crumples from within? That's dead...forever."

Tony looks at the freeze frame of a secluded road and the date, December 16 1991. His eyes rise, anxiously "I know that road. What is this?"

The video plays. A car that had been forced off the road crashing into a tree. Tony watches intently as the Winter Soldier rides up and gets off his motorbike. Steve watches Tony's increasing unease.

Meredith frowns feeling her chest rise and fall quickly, her anxiety increasing by each passing second.

The driver lies on the ground beside the car. It's Tony's father, Howard.

"Help me wife. Please. Help."

The Winter Soldier walks over and hoists him up by his hair. He stares at Howard's bloody face. Howard stares back pleadingly.

"Sargent Barnes?"

"Howard!" Tony's mother calls out.

Tony glares at Bucky. In the video the Winter Soldjer pounds Howard's face hard in the face with his metal fist.

"Howard!"

Meredith squeals in fear as her hands begin to shake, she refused to believe that her lover used to be like this.

In grief Tony closes his eyes for a moment. On screen his father slumps dead. The Winter Soldier puts him in the drivers seat with his face against the steering wheel. Tony stares in horror.

Maria's in the passenger seat with blood streaked down her face. The Winter Soldiwr walks around and grips her throat. Expressionless he strangles Maria. Tony watches the screen stunned. The Winter Soldier walks up and aims a gun at the camera.

Steve watches Tony anxiously. Tony lunges towards Bucky, Steve stops him.

"Tony. Tony."

Consumed with grief and tears glistening in his eyes he turns and looks at Steve, "did you know?"

"I didn't know it was him."

"Don't bullshit me, Rogers! Did you know?" Tony asks again, less friendly.

"Yes."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬