fifteen

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SAM WAS RELIEVED when he saw Tony step back into the room, it meant Steve and Bucky had gotten away safely and he hadn't given up the location for nothing.

Tony's usual partner in crime hadn't tagged along, which disappointed him greatly, she hadn't visited on her own yet.

"what happened?" he questioned inspecting the visible wounds on Tony's face, it looked like he had been hit by a truck.

"we gotta t-talk." he rubbed his forehead to ease the tension, it had formed immediately after witnessing Meredith's death.

Sam stared expectantly eyeing Tony down through the bars, he was beginning to get impatient.

Tony didn't say anything, he just stared straight ahead, the words were too difficult to say aloud. his tongue was in knots and he's breathing had hitched in the back of his throat.

he opened his mouth to speak and choked on the words, "something went wrong. Everything went incredibly wrong."

the rest of the team had stopped to listen as Tony begun to laugh hysterically, hunched over in the corner he begun to cry.

tear rolled down his bruised face, the atmosphere had changed dramatically no longer could Clint find something sarcastic to say.

instead, he waited to hear what was bad enough to crumble Tony Stark enough to rid him of the same suffocating ego they've all been sick of.

"we found Steve and Bucky, it was going fine, i didn't see- no one saw it coming." he stammered miserably.

"spit it out, Stark." Clint demands beginning to feel queasy, he prayed silently that he's friends we're home right now.

"he came at us from the back." Tony mumbles wiping away his tears with the end of he's sleeves, he hated looking and feeling weak.

"Meredith didn't have the strength to fight back."

the world around Sam had begun to spin, the food in his stomach threatening to crawl up he's throat and escape.

"we lost her."

the room fell silent, everyone looked at the ground for a moment of silence in respect to their fallen, soldier, friend and sister.

"how did you let this happen? SHE WAS FINE! WE WERE FINE." Sam yelled gripping the bars.

she was supposed to walk through that door and tell him about her day until he finally got himself out of the slammer.

that was the plan.

"Ross will give you an evening to attend her funeral with escorts, of course. i pulled as many strings as possible."

Tony made a hasty exit leaving his friends and family to mourn, Sam collapsed slumping against the wall. he felt defeated.

he dropped his head between his legs and begun to cry, the sobs were loud and full of raw pain and emotion.

Clint sat on the edge of his bed glancing down at his bruised knuckles, he had attacked her the last time they were in the same room.

Scott didn't know this girl personally but being in a cell next to Sam Wilson he gave you everything you needed to know about her.

including her need to pat every dog that she passed on the street, she used to think that they should it make it a law that you have to own a dog.

Wanda didn't feel anything, her mind instantly wandered to her deceased twin brother. he was absolutely smitten by Meredith.

now they would reunite in the afterlife.

"How did we fuck up this bad?" Sam questions all of them angrily, his knuckles tapping against the cold steel bars.

"did any of you apologise for hurting her? HUH?" It wasn't fair to take it out on them and he understood that but they hurt his best friend.

"Wanda?" he waits for a reply and scoffs when it doesn't arrive "your used to not feeling guilty about hurting people, right?"

"or is this deja vu? does the name Pietro ring a few bars?"

Clint shook his head, "Sam! That's taking it too far." He stands and glances up at the camera.

"happy Secretary Ross?, now we've lost one of us."

the group stayed in total silence, each remembering the best parts of their fallen Avenger - Meredith Creed.

the strongest avenger.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬