sixteen

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

THE GLOOMY WEATHER was the perfect backdrop to the leading events of the day, everyone dreading it as the sun came out.

Secretary Ross rounded up his prisoners and loaded them into a helicopter, all of them dressed up and wearing technology to suppress abilities or to simply bind their hands together.

there would be no unwanted escapes today.

The Avengers or what's left of them agreed to meet at the compound, they sat silently in the large living room unable to form any words.

how do you describe a life in one word? the end to a short and sweet life.

"I didn't see this coming." Clint speaks up, a sad smile forming on his face as the others finally joined them.

Sam and Tony seemed to be taking it the hardest, they mentored and became the lock to her key, in the end, the lock was forced open.

"no one did." The silence was deafening.

a bottle of open bourbon sat on the lavish glass table and a few feet away Sam bought a cup to his lips allowing the liquid to run down his throat.

in a couple of minutes, he would be giving a eulogy that was prepared in a cell that his deceased friend had been fighting against.

"we gotta go." Vision speaks from the doorway wearing a black suit and tie, his expression void of emotion.

he physically couldn't cry but it still saddened him that he had lost a team mate and friend.

she was one of the kindest people he had ever met.

they moved slowly dreading the next hour and a half, the cars that would be transporting them would be transporting them are two black SUVS supplied by Secretary Ross.

he had felt guilty for so openly berating the girl who had died trying to follow his orders and drag in Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes.

no one was stupid, this was an opportunity for him, there was no way Steve and Bucky would turn down the opportunity to say their last goodbyes to a fallen friend.

they climbed out of the SUV's and stepped into the church, they would have a quick service before moving into the back to the cemetery.

the sound of ed sheeran plays in the background as a sideshow of photos and videos of Meredith are played on a small screen.

a picture of Sam and Meredith appear on the screen, they were intoxicated and holding microphones.

they did a very drunken of AC/DC karaoke.

the priest stepped out into the room and took his place by a podium, he begins to speak.

"Lord our God, you are the source of life. In you we live and move and have our being. Keep us in life and death in your love, and, by you grace, lead us to your kingdom, through your son, Jesus Christ, Amen."

they all mumble shortly after, "Amen."

the rest of the funeral is a blur until Sam makes his way up the steps to the podium.

his eyes are full of tears and his cheeks are a light shade of pink from the other hours of endless crying he had done the night before.

he sniffles and leans his forearms down on the podium, Sam rubs his forehead before clearing he's throat and fixing he's posture.

"Meredith had been a fighter long before she finally hauled ass and joined the avengers, she was quiet and shy before finally cracking out of her hard shell."

he sniffled and looked down, "it was only two months after that she got in the ring and wiped the floor with me. there were nights when we would sit on the roof and swap war stories."

Sam paused and his eyes lingered on Tony, "her favourite was from the attack on New York, she loved to brag that Tony Stark saved her and she walked out with a badass scar."

he begun to laugh, "we're all fools for thinking that we beat her. we only kicked her ass when she wanted us too."

the group laughed nodding in agreement.

"she was beautiful on the inside and out, she loved every one of us and even when we came head to head, when we were fighting - she didn't want to hurt us."

He chokes on his words, "her fight is over and I wish that I had listened to her when she said that life was about more than surviving."

Sam's eyes travel over the group of dysfunctional adults and sighs, "we all should've listened."

"I'm not myself without my other half, I'm not anything without Meredith Creed." A tear falls, "she had the other piece of my heart."

he finds himself doing the same tongue curl that Meredith did when she was nervous, "I don't know how I'm going to make it without her."

Sam wipes away a tear and jogs down the steps returning to his seat.

the priest quickly gestures for them to step out into the cemetry we're they would lower the grave into the ground.

Sam spins the white rose in his hand, they await directions peacefully.

finally, they're asked to drop the flowers onto the grave, he gently places it down and whispers sadly "ride or die, remember?"

the words warmed his heart, in he's mind he could see Meredith standing beside him like a guardian angel watching his every move.

he felt at peace knowing that she wouldn't ever be completely gone.

the coffin begins to lower into the ground, Sam sniffled and wiped his nose with the sleeve of his suit.

he didn't care about his appearance.

the moment the coffin had finished being lowered, Sam knew.

part of Sam had been buried and locked away, he would forever feel the missing part of his heart and unfortunately, he would have to live with it.

"Goodbye Meredith Creed."

he turns and walks away leaving her behind.

in the distance, thunder rumbled and a strike of lightning struck the land burning whatever had been struck in the process.

the beauty of it was comforting.

this was her goodbye.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬