𝐼. 𝑇ℎ𝑒 𝐸𝑟𝑠𝑎𝑡𝑧 𝐸𝑙𝑒𝑣𝑎𝑡𝑜𝑟 𝑃𝑎𝑟𝑡 𝐼

Aurora Snicket put the last stroke of paint on the canvas in front of her and smiled contently before it fell again. She painted a lake. The same lake her mother died in. A lock of her brown curly hair fell in front of her eyes and she blew it away before tucking it away, causing a stroke of blue paint to appear on her cheek.

She turned to the mirror and was about to clean her face and hands when her gaze turned to the striped suit her Aunt, Esmé Squalor, forced her to wear because it was in. It was nothing like her own style, but her own style wasn't in right now.

Aurora Snicket was the only daughter of Jacques Snicket and Fleur Squalor. Aurora's father left her when she was nine for a 'work thing' but never returned after that. Many people rumoured him to be dead, even her mother believed so. But Aurora never gave up hope that her father would return to her again. Aurora's mother died a few years ago in a mysterious drowning accident. From that day on, she was officially proclaimed an orphan and placed under her aunt's and her aunt's husband's care.

Aurora didn't have a bad life. Sure, her aunt cared more about what was in or out than her, but her life was nice. Jerome, her aunt's husband cared about her and they had enough money to get her whatever she wanted. And once she was of age she would inherit her parent's money and be set for life. And sure, her life seemed to be followed by weird eye symbols, the letter V, F and D and she has a weird spyglass that used to be her father's. But besides that, her life was fine.

But today, her life would change forever.

"Rory, the Baudelaires will be here soon, make sure you're downstairs by then!" Jerome called from one of the many rooms.

"Coming!" Aurora called back, completely forgetting about the paint on her hands and cheeks. She let out a deep sigh before leaving her plainly decorated room and walking past the many rooms until she reached the stairs that led to the entrance hall that was darkly lit because dark was in.

"I feel like I'm in the dark," She whispered to herself as she had no idea what she should expect from the Baudelaires. Jerome came hurrying to the front door and sent a quick smile at Aurora before throwing open the doors with a large smile.

"You must be the Baudelaires. Welcome. The door's always unlocked," He explained and went to shake their hands as Aurora leaned on the railing at the top of the stairs. "My name is Jerome Squalor and I'm so happy you've come to stay with us."

"How do you do, Mr Squalor?" A boy asked as Aurora couldn't see them yet.

"Oh goodness, you must be out of breath from that long climb. Well, luckily I can think of two things to do about that. One, you can stop calling me Mr Squalor and start calling me Jerome. And number two, I am gonna make you a nice, cold martini. Come this way." Jerome smiled and walked back inside, making it finally possible for Aurora to see the Baudelaires. There were three children in total. A baby with brown eyes and blond hair, a boy with brown eyes that were covered by glasses and brown hair, and last but not least, a beautiful girl with blue eyes and brown hair. Aurora was completely mesmerized by her beauty, even if she was wearing a school uniform.