Chapter 28

It takes me a while to calm down, but when Mikey barges through the door, my pulse spikes right back up again. I jump up, ready to leave the room, but he blocks my way.

"Wait, wait," he lays a hand on my fast-breathing chest. "I know I was a moron earlier, and I'm sorry. You know I'm cranky in the mornings—"

"No shit," I mutter, but my mood does lighten a little. I was worried Mikey had gone completely over to Phantom's side, but now that he's putting some effort into apologizing, it must mean he's with me. That he's willing to help.

"Frank told me what Will said, but why should that stop us? I'll locate that darned flash drive, no matter where we stay." His hands move to my shoulders and he looks into my eyes, his face serious and determined. "Think about it. We can learn a lot about Malcolm and Phantom by staying here, things we can use to our advantage."

I exhale, still uneasy about the whole situation. Mikey's making sense, but I don't like the fact that they're holding us here and won't let us make that choice for ourselves.

"What about the virus?" I say. The long, spiky fingers of panic scratch at my insides. "I just... I feel like we're doing nothing if we stay here."

"Charlie, listen," Mikey tightens his grip around my shoulders. "I only need a computer to find that flash drive and they have plenty here. But until we find it, I need you to stay calm. Try your best to fit in and get to know Phantom better. I swear they're nice people."

"Then why doesn't Malcolm trust them?" I whisper. It comes out as more of a statement than a question.

"I don't know. But he gave you a task and I'll help you, and we can do that from here. It's safer to stay here, anyway. Surveillance cameras haven't been installed in the countryside yet, so Regina won't find us." He half-smiles. "We'll sneak away when we have to."

It takes me a second to process the fact that Mikey is the one who suggests sneaking out. I return his smile. He really is on my side, and that's all I need. The urge to run away is written in my bones, engraved so deep it's become instinct by now, and I could run away on my own, but then what? There's no way I'll be able to find the flash drive in time without Mikey. This might also be a way to pay him back for putting him through so much bullshit. I've gotten him into trouble ever since elementary school, so I owe him. I know part of him wanting to stay is because he's finally met his online friends, and I don't blame him, even if it means he'll forget about me sometimes. Maybe if I say yes to stay, he'll forgive me. For everything.

"Fine," I say. "As long as we're outta here by Wednesday. That's three days from now. We can't stay any longer."

Mikey nods. "I can work with that." He smiles and pinches my cheek. "Now lighten up. Time for you to make some friends, baby!"

I roll my eyes, but can't fight off the stupid grin spreading on my face. "I don't do that," I say, but he only waves me off.

"I guarantee you that you'll make some new friends here."

The words make my heart flutter involuntarily. I don't understand how he can say that. Not after our years at school where I fought most of our classmates. Not after what happened with Malcolm. I don't make friends easily and I'm even worse at keeping them.

"They think I'm a murderer. I don't know what crew you have in mind, but I'm sure no one wants to hang with that."

"No, they don't. Didn't Will tell you?" Mikey's forehead wrinkles, but his smile remains. "She told them what really happened when we slept. They know Malcolm is alive, and they're waiting for you. That's why I came here. You're practically a superhero to them now."