Chapter 29

When I'm done eating and most of the group has left the kitchen, Maya calls me over to her and Katia's part of the table. We've been sitting at separate ends, and I've been busy getting to know the other Phantoms. My cheeks are warm and my mouth hurts from smiling, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Mikey was right. All the Phantoms I've met so far have been nice.

I walk over to the girls, and they're sitting with a guy I haven't talked to. I can't remember him greeting me earlier. His profile is prominent and well-shaped, his strong jawline tightening as he chews on some plain oatmeal. He's wearing a tight, white tank top that shows off his muscular build. I can already tell he's a douchebag. His sly grin reveals a row of perfect white teeth in harmonic contrast to his golden-tanned skin.

I press my lips together and try to form them into a smile. He crosses his arms over his chest, causing his biceps to almost double in size.

"Hi," I say as I sit down with them.

Maya is on the opposite side of the table, next to Mr. Smooth. "This is Curtis," she says. "He's—"

"I can introduce myself," he snaps, but the smile on his face doesn't match the hostile tone. His low eyebrows rise for a second, as if surprised. "You're experiment six, huh? I tried to greet you earlier, but... The line was too long. Tough being popular." He shrugs and stretches his hand toward me. "I'm Curtis Moore."

I grab his hand and he tightens the grip instantly. Way too tight. Pain shoots up my arm, but I refuse to show it.

"Charlie Walker," I say through a gritted smile. I have to resist the urge to shake my hand when he lets go.

"So what do you do?" he asks. His eyes narrow a little, a shadow of something cunning runs over his broad features. "Besides being a spoiled brat, I mean."

"Curtis!" Maya gasps and pushes him lightly in the shoulder.

His gray eyes stay fixed on me. I don't flinch.

"I'd rather be a brat than an idiot," I say.

He leans closer, resting his elbow on the table. "At least this idiot can understand what's at stake here. Will told me about your little fit earlier." He scratches his head, causing his dark brown hair to flatten a bit. "I tried to tell Will you were too stupid to be a part of this. Seems I was right."

Before I can think twice, a familiar rush of anger shoots through me, and I'm out of my chair with a hand around his tank top. "What did you call me?"

My muscles itch, my temples pounding with the beat of my heart.

I expect – I hope, oh, I hope – he wants to fight me, but instead he leans back and lifts his arms. A disgusting chuckle escapes his throat.

"Wow, calm down. It was a joke."

"Charlie, come on." Katia puts a cold hand on my shoulder and pulls me back into my chair.

"Why are you doing this?" Maya hisses to Curtis.

I try to steady my breath. I can feel the rest of the room staring at us, but I keep my gaze steady on Curtis. He's looking at Maya, but I'll be ready when he looks back at me.

"Babe." He's still chuckling, though lower. "I was just joking. Promise."

"Don't 'babe' me," she says. Her heart-shaped lips turn down at the edges. "Maybe you should go get the guns ready? Training starts in five."

"He's responsible for teaching you guys how to shoot?" I laugh. If I can't hit him, at least I know I'm a better shooter.

"Watch it," he barks at me, which causes my grin to widen. A hint of red runs over his face.