Chapter 43

A long fifty minutes later, I round a large cliff dipping into the wild waves, and a familiar sight welcomes me.

Never in a million years would I have thought Phantom's dead-beat factory would make me happy, but the warmth spreading through my body suggests differently. I even catch myself grinning, both relieved to be safe and to tell Mikey what happened.

Each time I close in to the dock, the waves pull the boat away, and I'm left with a fuming headache. It takes me another fifteen minutes to dock the boat, but at least I'm warm again now. Can't say rage isn't good for anything.

I kill the engine and leave the key in the ignition, having it ready if anyone wants to test it out. I run inside to find Mikey, and maybe also Will, just to tell her I escaped Regina on my own. Maybe it'll give the Phantoms some hope.

The computer room is way busier than expected. I thought the Phantoms were training, but most of them are gathered around the computers. The ones sitting are leaning in to stare at the screen, while the ones standing behind them point at whatever they're watching. Maybe it's the release of a new game or something, I don't know. Seems like something they'd be excited about.

But the thing is, they don't look excited.

They look scared.

Some of them ease into a smile when they see me, while others wave and say hi.

My eyebrows pinch together, but I say hi back without asking any questions. I'm expecting Will to come flying at me any second now, so I don't have time to be filled in with whatever this is about.

Instead of stomping with fury, Will squeezes herself between the group of Phantoms and comes toward me with the biggest smile I've ever seen on her. At first I wonder if she's grimacing, biting her teeth together so hard she has to widen her mouth, but no. It's definitely a smile. Is this why the Phantoms are scared? Because I sure am.

"Charlie!" She slaps my shoulder like we're old buds, and I'm growing suspicious. Her grin fades when she sees my clothes. There's a spot of blood on my right shoulder, caused by the graze on my ear. It isn't bleeding anymore, but it probably looks gross.

"Why are your clothes wet? This isn't the time to go swimming."

My lips part at her comment. Did Will try to make a joke? Will... joking? I shake my head slightly, and a hesitating laughter rolls from my throat.

"Heh. I've been... I can explain," I start, but my words escape me. This entire situation is too weird, the entire atmosphere too awkward and... fake, almost? I can't put my finger on it, but my gut tells me something is very wrong.

Then Curtis joins in by Will's side and nods at me.

Smiling.

Curtis smiling to me? Curtis smiling at all?

That's when I know I must have died and entered a different reality. Maybe I drowned? Maybe the bullet pierced my head instead of my ear?

Will waves her hand in front of me, and I snap out of the imagination of my possible deaths.

"Are you okay?"

"Are..." I narrow my eyes at her. "Are you?"

Her dark eyes dart over to Curtis, and her grin falters.

My nerves prickles with uncertainty.

"What is it?" I ask and scan the room in search for any hints. Everyone avoids my stare. Everyone except Frank. He's standing next to Brandon, who has his arm over Frank's shoulders. A pang of something ugly shoots through me. I clench my teeth in annoyance with myself. I don't care.