1

Katia pulls the trigger.

The bullet surges through the air, followed by a heartbreaking silence as it enters Frank's body.

The next seconds feel like decades.

Frank falls, his arms flailing out to grab onto something, and I reach after him. I scream and I jump, but I can't catch him.

His helmet smashes against the asphalt, and his body goes still. Too still. My limbs turn to stone. I can't move. I'm not sure if I can ever move again.

I lie on my stomach, my arms reaching for him, my fingertips brushing his. He tries to say something, but the blood gurgling in his throat makes it impossible to hear. A sharp shard of fear pierces through me.

"Nononono," I plead and drag myself closer and clutch my hands around his, holding onto him so hard he can't let go, but he's slipping through my fingers like water.

"Will!" I yell at the top of my lungs.

My first instinct is to yell for Mikey, but I can't risk him coming over here. It's too dark and we're too far away for them to see us, but I can make out Mikey's lanky body in front of the car's headlights. At least he's safe, and that calms me a little.

"Will!" I try again, and a cry forces its way out as well.

They can't hear you.

"Frank," I whimper, and he coughs in return, sounding like he's choking on his own tongue.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to shoot him," Katia whispers, over and over again. Her hand lands on my shoulder, but I shove her away. "Charlie," she breathes. "We have to go." When I don't react, she pulls her rifle out again, aiming at me. "Charlie. I'm serious."

I ignore her. She can shoot me if she wants to.

I move close enough to see Frank's face, and I have to bite back a sob when I see him. His hazel eyes are open, sparkling and rounder than I've ever seen them, and I don't know if it's a trick of the green lights from the building, but I think I see the stars in his eyes. His lips twist into a rogue smile, and my throat closes around the words as I try to choke them out, but I have to say it. He has to know.

"I'm so sorry."

The weight of time hits me now.

How it can take away someone you love faster than you can take your next breath.

How it never slows down even when you wish it could stop, if just for one moment.

How everyone says it will heal the pain, but it never does.

"Will!" I try, but my voice is too weak. My body too exhausted.

At first, I think it's me who's shaking.

Then I realize it's the ground.