𝐢𝐯 - 𝖽𝗈𝗐𝗇 𝗍𝗈 𝗁𝖺𝗀𝗋𝗂𝖽'𝗌 𝗁𝗎𝗍

─── · 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

╰┈➤ HARRY'S POV

Harry looked up at the sky as they walked to Hagrid's hut, expecting to see a cloud of dementors circling above the castle turrets and the forbidden forest, but they weren't there. A wave of relief washed over him.

The four of them— Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Elsie— walked up the hill, shivering in the cold, and followed the narrow, winding path to Hagrid's. When they reached his hut, Harry knocked loudly on the door, his knuckles white from the biting cold.

Pressing his ear against the door, Harry could hear a disgruntled sigh after what sounded like a ton of dishes clattering to the floor.

"Jus' a moment!" A gruff voice yelled from inside the hut.

Seconds later, the large door opened up and revealed a smiling Hagrid dressed in his usual winter attire. Hagrid's expression instantly changed to one of confusion when he laid his eyes on Harry and his friends.

"Hello, Hagrid," said Harry, slipping inside of the dimly lit hut.

"What're ye' doing here? Hagrid grumbled, scratching his head. "Shouldn't ya be in class right now?"

"Professor McGonagall canceled class halfway through," Hermione said quickly.

"Oh. Well, come on in then," Hagrid said, stepping out of their way.

Harry took a seat at the table and began petting Fang, who nuzzled up against his legs and was slobbering all over his shoes. Ron, Hermione, and Elsie sat down in the other chairs, and Hagrid eyed them all curiously.

"Well, who's this now," Hagrid said cheerfully as he noticed Elsie, who took a seat next to Hermione.

"Hello, Hagrid," Elsie said brightly. "I'm Elise Goldleaf— one of the new transfer students from France." Elsie held out her hand and Hagrid shook it.

He chuckled heartily. "Oh yes, 'o course. I remember ya from las' night's ceremony. Nice ter meet yuh, Elsie."

He scratched his beard and his black eyes twinkled.

"I should probably warn ya— these three are a bit o' trouble 'round here," Hagrid teased, looking at Harry, Ron, and Hermione.

Harry felt his ears go slightly red as he reached for one of the large steaming cups of tea that Hagrid had just poured for them. His glasses fogged up as he took long sips from the cup.

"Speaking of trouble," Hermione said impatiently. "We heard a strange sound outside of the Transfiguration Hall just now— that's why McGonagall canceled class."

"We were wondering if you happened to see or hear anything unusual," said Harry.

Hagrid shook his head earnestly. "Mmm, didn't hear anything unusual 'round here today— been pretty busy taking care 'o Buckbeak down in my pumpkin patch."

"Buckbeak?" Elsie asked, raising an eyebrow.

"He's my Hippogriff," Hagrid beamed.

Hermione gave a grunt of disappointment. "Well, I wonder what that sound was— Professor McGonagall seemed keen to talk to Dumbledore right away..."

"What if it had something to do with the dementors," Harry said quietly as he set his cup down on the table.

"No," said Ron, who tensed up at the mention of the Azkaban guards. "Dumbledore's not allowing them to get anywhere near the castle anymore— they're supposed to be guarding the perimeter of the grounds— aren't they?" He looked at Hermione, who nodded.