Chapter 4: Phenomenal

"Cut!" yelled the director and the young dancers froze mid-lift, their equilibrium disrupted

Quick and steady on his feet, Jun secured his partner in his arms and lowered her to safety without letting go.

"You okay?" he whispered to Odile as the production assistants approached with their jackets.

They bundled up and her rouged lips pursed into a smile which failed to reach her smoky eyes. She turned to the director.

"What is it, Mr Scarborough?" Her posh British accent floated down from the top of a high horse. "Which part did we get wrong?"

Mr Scarborough scratched at his forehead, one hand on his hip. "You didn't get anything wrong, per se, I just..." He sighed. "Look, I know you're super young – "

Odile's blush showed under the professional make-up.

" – but this is a song for grown-ups, about grown-ups, if you catch my meaning."

The girl averted her gaze.

"I need less..." The director waved his hands in search for the words. "Dutiful obedience and more... fiery mischief. You're not in school anymore, dancing for an exam. This is a... a game of seduction, and desire. And it needs to be phenomenal. Do you think you can do that?"

"Well, you chose me for this part," she said, peering up through her eyelashes, "so I'm sure there must be something I can come up with."

Mr Scarborough smiled. "Right, well." Checking his wristwatch, he glanced at the sunlight dwindling behind the hills along the horizon. "Why don't we call it an early Friday and you can show me what you've come up with on Monday?"

"Sounds good," Odile agreed.

Scarborough dismissed the crew and followed Jun to his trailer when Odile wasn't looking.

The dancer welcomed the director with a wink and a grin. "Isn't she a work of art?"

"She is a piece of work, alright." Ray plopped down on a sofa at one end of the trailer, while Jun sat at his vanity table to wipe off the make-up. "Why, oh, why would you recommend someone like her for a video like this?"

Jun chuckled. "Because she's the best dancer I know. Graduated top of our class at Kingsley."

"She might as well be, but there's a reason I went looking for my leads in strip clubs. A stuck-up virgin is the last thing I wanted on my set."

Jun raised an eyebrow at his reflection. "She went to boarding school before Kingsley, Ray. I strongly doubt she's a virgin."

"Well, she's a prude, regardless. Didn't I read somewhere that her family are nobility or something?"

The dancer shrugged. "No clue. I only know her parents were a badass ballet couple. But divorced now, if Wikipedia is to be believed."

"There you go, they probably raised her to be a prim and proper prima ballerina."