Chapter 4

Hizashi had swaddled you in his fine green cloak and helped Shouta get you onto a horse with him. You were too weak to really hold yourself up so you leaned back against Shouta's chest and tried your best not to slide to either side. Shouta let Hizashi take the lead and the three of you weaved around the town through backroads away from prying eyes until you eventually reached the stream on the far end of town. You rode down the center of the stream for a time, letting the tracks wash away in the current until it fed into a river that looked as though it could swallow the horse whole. Hizashi led the three of you along the river bank where the water lapped at the tracks, stealing them away in places. You rode at a trot for what felt like hours, your body unable to try a steady itself just jostled along.

It wasn't until sunrise that your party reached a place in the woods that was dense enough that Hizashi felt sure that no one frequented the area. Again, you were lifted gently into Shouta's arms and he set you down on a sleeping roll that Hizashi had placed out for you. You uncurled and for the first time in nearly three days you straightened out your body. It felt incredible and horrendous at the same time, like a stretch that was going too far. Tears pricked at your eyes but you fought them off as your body sunk into the new position and got acclimated.

Your two companions bustled about around you, Shouta building a small cooking fire and Hizashi rummaging through the saddlebags of the horse. You started to drift off after a few minutes, craving sleep unhindered by scorching bars or gut-wrenching hunger pangs. Hunger. You haven't really felt hunger in about a day or so now, but there was still an undeniable emptiness in your stomach. Just as you were slipping into sleep a gentle hand stroked your cheek gingerly, prodding you awake.

"Hey," you opened your eyes to find Hizashi knelt next to you, a waterskin in his hand. "I know you're tired but I need you to drink some water, Okay?"

You blinked your eyes open and nodded weakly. You were exhausted and your body was starting to act like it.

"Good, I'll help." Hizashi tilted your head forward and brought the water skin to your lips, gently pouring the liquid into your mouth in increments. Hizashi had a wonderful bedside manner, he'd make a good healer. He held you like that, patiently feeding you water every minute or so, until the waterskin ran dry. Sure that you had swallowed the last bit of water he placed your head back down and brushed some stray hairs from your face. Your eyes closed and the last thing you saw before falling unconscious was Hizashi's warm smile and worried eyes.

***

Hizashi watched over you for a while, making sure that you found rest. You were in worse shape than he'd hoped you'd be in when they found you, he'd hoped you'd at least be able to ride on your own. When he was sure that sleep had found you Hizashi stood and returned to the task of looting the saddlebags. The horses were remarkably well behaved for having been acquired on such short notice, after all, Hizashi had quite literally stopped the cart they were pulling in its tracks and cut them loose. The cart had been bustling down the dusty road towards the town square, going too fast to be just passing through. Hizashi had watched it for a while from the roof of the inn, hoping it would take a sudden turn away from the town square but as it drew nearer he knew he'd have to take care of it before whoever it was happened across Shouta.

It wasn't any of the town's lawmen, Hizashi had been sure he and Shouta had taken care of that throughout the day. However, when he'd managed to stop the cart and take care of the two men driving it he was surprised to find them well-armed and trained, at least partially, in combat.

In his quest to raid the saddlebags, Hizashi came across a rolled parchment, stamped and sealed with wax.

Hizashi broke the wax seal and found that inside was a requisition of services made out to the Northern Dales Mercenary Company detailing the extermination of the "witch" who killed the young Lord Regis of House Bennett.