Chapter 16

"Hey," Hizashi's hand found your shoulder and gently rubbed circles into your back, rousing you from your mind. "Where'd you go?"

You blinked hard, bringing yourself back to the present using him to focus on. Truth be told, you didn't know where you went. You would retreat into yourself sometimes, your mind going to some far off place leaving your body behind. Whenever you came back you were left only with the feeling associated with wherever you went but never the memory. This one felt cold, and your legs held phantom pain as if you'd been riding all day, a dull sting at your shoulder.

"Sorry." you hummed, smiling uncomfortably.

"None of that." Hizashi smirked. He pulled closer to him and placed a kiss on your crown before pulling away and crossing the room. "Just wish you'd take me with you sometimes, get away from this snow!"

"Zash." you smiled. He made it okay, the getting lost in your mind, the panicked episodes, the nightmares. It was all just okay with him, like none of it was a big deal. "It was cold this time."

"Oh," he pouted, "nevermind then. One cold is no better than the other, and at least with this one we have a hot spring!"

Hizashi smiled broadly, wiggling his eyebrows. The seasons had just begun to change, the leaves were yellowing, the air was cooling and the sun was rising later and setting earlier. Most folks didn't want to be out past dark, let alone wandering outside of the fortress for a bath in a hot spring. Hizashi wasn't most folk and as such he was adamant that a late night hot spring visit was needed. He'd brought it up yesterday evening, that he and Shouta had the night off of patrols and that the hot springs were usually deserted this time of year because the hike to a fro was too cold for most to want to endure. You, much to his dismay, were one of those people who didn't want to hike back to the fortress in the dark, dripping wet in the cold.

Shouta had laughed and shook his head as if there was something you didn't know about. He pulled into him and tangled his legs with yours and whispered in your ear.

"Just be ready to go by the time I'm home."

So here you were, sitting on the bed watching Hizashi pack a bag with spare clothes and fragrant homemade soaps. There were a number of luxuries you weren't quite used to yet but soap was one you adored. It wasn't a common item amongst lower class citizens even less so in such small villages like yours. You doubted even the Father had any, lest he'd have smelled pleasant at least once in your time knowing him. Hizashi buckled the bag shut and looked up at you, a somewhat devilish look in his eye. He was in a very interesting mood today, playful and joyous but also secretive and sly. It was both entertaining and worrying.

"What are you thinking?" you asked, trying to read his eyes. There was too much going on.

"I'm thinking-" He lunged forwards on top of you, flattening you down onto the bed. "-that I'm a very lucky man, who had a very beautiful lady sitting right across from me and I'd be a fool not to act up on it."

He propped himself up on his hands but bowed his head to trap your lips with a kiss. It was loving and kind but passionate and you could tell it wasn't anything close to innocent. You kissed him back, wrapping your hand around his waist. Hizashi was always looking for opportunities to shower you with physical affection, he'd sneak a few shoulder brushes and well timed stealthy gropes in with Shouta but he wasn't overly appreciative of a lot of physical contact. When Shouta was in the mood it was like Hizashi was on cloud nine, running his hand through his hair and savouring every bit of Shouta he could get his hands on. You didn't mind it so much, the hand holding, the hands on your thigh or around your shoulder, the heavy petting Hizashi was more than thrilled to incite.