Charmer (Shot 1)

INSPIRATION : Movie – Master (2021) (Tamil)

****

SHOT 1

It has been only three days since Khushi joined VCS College as Assistant Professor. So, she has prepared herself for curious looks. However, what she wasn't prepared for was every other person, student or staff, whom she passed in the way giving her knowing glance and murmuring something to one another with a giggle.

What had she done!

Khushi spotted Anjali Sharma, Professor of Chemistry, three years her senior in this college and who become something akin to a friend by default as they were seated adjacent to each other in the staff room.

"Morning, Anjali mam." Khushi greeted as she stood beside Anjali who was giving some instructions to a student.

"Morning." Anjali spared a glance to Khushi with her ever present smile before turning her attention back to the student. "Dev I will extend the deadline for submission, but even if one record isn't on time, then mind you everyone will lose five marks."

"Mam, don't worry about it. I will make sure everyone is one time. If it wasn't for the..." Anjali waved him off for probably she must have heard the whole excuse story already.

"Thank you, Anjali mam. Have a good day!" Dev took a step backward, then turning to Khushi, with a grin that seems to be identically present on everyone's lips when they look at her, he wished. "Have a Great day, Khushi mam."

Khushi frowned at his retreating figure. He definitely wasn't her student. She wouldn't forget if such ridiculously tall boy was in one of her classes. Then how did he know her?

"Shall we?" asked Anjali as she began to walk towards the staff room. Khushi held Anjali's hand and made Anjali face her.

With voice full of concern, Khushi asked, "What did I do to embarrass myself?"

"What?" Anjali frowned "Why do you think so?"

Khushi sighed deeply as she took a step towards Anjali. "Everyone has been giving me weird smile since yesterday. I have only joined here recently, but it is as if whole college recognizes me and worse is that it is as if they all know secret about me that I am not aware of. What is it?"

Hearing sheer panic in Khushi's voice, Anjali couldn't help but chuckle.

"What is it, Mam?" Khushi asked

"Well, Khushi, you have not done anything. You have only one person to blame for all the attention you are getting."

"Who?"

"ASR."

That name –or the short of it- did ring a bell. When Khushi had taken out her cousins to treat them for getting a job, Kishore, her younger college going cousin, had more things to say about ASR than VCS college itself. Apparently, two spoiled brats harassed a girl and management was trying to hush it down as they were Minister's sons. ASR and few other students fought the management until the rascals were behind the bars. Media was paid not to cover the story, but ASR has somewhat become a legend as the news spread word of mouth among the students. In Kishore's words, ASR even thrashed the students and goons who supported them–movie style- before they were handed to the police.

Why would he have anything to do with attention Khushi was getting?

"You know ASR is..."

"I know." Khushi said. "I heard about that harassment case."

"You did?" Anjali sounded surprised.

"My cousin told me. He studies in Xavier college."

"Oh... Okay." Anjali nodded. Students gossip and nothing is going to stay within four walls of a college.

"But, Anjali mam, what does a student has to do with me? Do I teach his class?"

Anjali looked at Khushi amused for a minute before she began laughing. Now, Khushi was losing her patience.

"Mam!!" She gritted her teeth.

"Khushi, ASR is not a student. He is a professor."

"Professor!!!"

All the rowdy stories that she has heard about is not of a student, but a professor!!! What!

"A professor! Why is management tolerating such a raucous professor?"

"Students God worship him. You can't suspend him even for half a day without every single student from this college walking out."

"How did he gain such support?"

"Well, he has been in this college for fifteen years. Six years as student and nine years as Professor. It is safe to say that he is uncrowned King of this college. Even management can't do anything against him."

From Anjali's voice and the way he described ASR, it was obvious how fond she was of the latter. How can a responsible professor like Anjali accept professor like ASR who seems to tarnish the respectful image of professors is beyond Khushi.

"How is all this related to me?"

Familiar glint and mischief returned to Anjali's eyes. "You know ASR teaches philosophy so he is very friendly with students and discusses everything." No surprise there, Khushi thought. "Students had asked him if he had seen the new professor... " Anjali pointed her hands at Khushi,"...that is you."

"Okay!" Khushi said unsure where it was going.

"And ASR had said yes."

"Hmm."

"Then students had asked him what he thought about you and..." Anjali dragged

"And?"

"And he had said, let me quote, 'Cute hai'"

"What rubbish?!?" Why would any Professor call his colleague 'cute' in front students. Students, out of all the people. Why?

"Who discusses all this with students?" Of course, unless it is a rowdy professor like ASR.

"You have no idea what all he discusses with students." Anjali laughed. Khushi wondered how she could take all this so lightly.

"This is ridiculous!" Khushi fumed. "I am going to complain to principal about him."

Anjali held Khushi's hand. "Come on, it is all just for fun."

"I don't think everyone giggling at me is in anyway fun for me."

"Khushi, you know, ASR has been an enigma when it came to relationship. He doesn't have a family of his own or even love life. Forget dating, he hasn't even looked at a girl before and that is not because of lack of trying from students or even some professors. He is just that way. You are the first woman for whom he has said something close to a compliment. I guess, everyone is just celebrating it."

Khushi was about to say something, when Anjali stopped her. "It isn't as big as an issue you think. Just give it couple of days. Students will soon start worrying about College elections and will forget this."

Khushi was hoping on that. For all she knew, students' life is filled with too much excitement to stick to one compliment. It will pass soon, she thought and how wrong she was.

***

This will have one or two more parts. Not sure. I am writing a new story after a long time and so I have lost bit of touch. I thought of writing in small portions regularly to stay in the zone.

I am planning to return to writing. I am hoping to start with short stories with fewer commitments. If you have any idea that you think I will be excited to work on, you can share.

Comments welcome to motivate me to work on next chapter quicker.