Capricious

capricious - given to sudden and unaccountable changes of mood or behaviour.

Capricious. He couldn't think of a better word to describe her. A minute ago her eyes were watery, rival to the fountain in the gazebo and now, she was all smiles, rival to the bright moon on the starless night.

Her pigtails waved in air as she jumped in place clapping her hands marvelling at the puppy running in circles around her.

'We can take it home, right?'

He nodded yes fearing that his refusal will bring back new set of tears. Knowing her, the next phase will be anger followed by silent treatment. He has to give in to her demands anyway, so why delay the inevitable.

Buckling the puppy in his arms, he walked beside her mentally questioning him when will he learn to say no to her. This is not the first time their sporadic visit to park sees her returning with sheepish grin and him with guilty lowered gaze.

'Amma will not scold us, right?'

For a minute, he was ready to reopen his case of not taking a random puppy they saw at the park home by citing how angry her Amma gets by this impulsive nature of her. However, he stopped himself for two reasons. One, he knew that isn't entirely true. He can manage her Amma more than he was ever able to manage his own. Two, he want her to have everything she wishes for.

'She will not.' he hoped so even as he said it. 'I will let my mother do the talking if yours gets overboard.'

She giggled closing her mouth with her hand and looked up at him with sparkle in eyes that catches him off guard every time. 

At the entrance of the house, they were greeted by an angry woman with narrowed glare and tightly pressed lips.

'What is the meaning of this?' her eyes trailed at the puppy in his hand.

His mini mischief partner turned her round eyes at him with a worship of hero knowing that he will win the battle for them and let the puppy stay.

With a deep sigh, collecting himself together, he turned towards the angry woman.

'I can explain Khushi.'

His wife raised her eyebrows at him in challenge as he once again, without fight, gave in to their daughter's demand.

'Not a dog, definitely not.'

'It is not a dog. It's a puppy.' he argued.

'And that makes it better.'

'Please, Khushi.' he implored. He knew his wife was melting. She always did when he took a step backward and gave her the power.  To add a dramatic effect, he lead his daughter to use her puppy eyes on her Amma.

His wife didn't even complete her acceptance sentence before his daughter ran inside the house with the puppy.

'Between the two of us, I am not even the one who hate dogs, still I am the one who has to be convinced. ' she shook her head disapprovingly. 'I will give you a week before I want that dog or puppy or whatever out of the house. I already have enough to take care in the house.'

It didn't take a week, but only an hour before he saw his wife and daughter run in the garden with the puppy chasing behind them. His wife loved the new addition to the family as quickly as she declared she dislikes its entry. Their contagious laughter mingled with the 'woof' of the puppy gave a new setting to the whole house, a lively setting.

If this is the happiness the little rascal can do to his family, he can stay. Arnav can live with a species he is known to detest. He can also change, because, what they all are is capricious.
—- —- —

I know I am supposed to rest when I am not feeling well. Trust me, I was resting when I just for fun typed this very short story in phone.
Still not brisk enough to work on whole chapter of The Wedding Vows.