Charmer [last shot]

Epilogue

Arnav pulled out the tail of his shirt that was tucked in his pants. Among many things he hates about this college, formal dress code for staff is on the top list. He could hear in his own professor's voice how discipline makes a person a better human being.

Growing up as an orphan, Arnav didn't feel he belonged anywhere. It was his professor Selvam who made a responsible man out of him and made this college feel like home. That is the main reason Arnav refused to leave this college no matter how many more lucrative opportunities came his way.

The love he received was much more than the dislike from a handful. Every new batch of students managed to crave a place for them in Arnav's heart. This place gave him a familial feeling that he has never experienced.

It was all worth it.

Now Arnav appreciated this college more than ever as it has given him something, rather someone, he never expected he would be lucky enough to be bestowed with.

Plopping himself on the stairs in the third floor that lead to the terrace, Arnav picked up the tea he got with himself and sipped it in leisure. This has been his haven since he was a student. No one disturbed him when he was here unless it was absolutely necessary.

Today was farewell day for the final years and Arnav was exhausted to the core. His day started with him organizing the cultural part of the day and ended with every single student wanting a piece of himself, be it for something as deep as life advice to something as simple as selfie.

Now, Arnav relaxed in his favourite place with his favored tea before he has another set of interaction with the students who have coerced Arnav to have dinner with them.

Footsteps neared the stair and Arnav was half hoping the person would pass by, but when the person stopped beside him, Arnav sighed and looked up at the person.

"Mirnalini." Arnav addressed one of the final year students.

Arnav stood on his feet, straightened his slouched shoulder and put back the professor mask.

"I thought you left with your friends."

"I..." Mirnalini hesitated. She wetted her lips and looked around in uncertainty.

"Is it about your job in Bangalore?" Arnav asked.

New job was the point of deliberation with most of the students.

"No, ASR...I..." she hesitated. Then bracing herself she looked at Arnav. "First year.... when I told you about....Do you remember it?"

It was clear to Arnav what she was talking about. He shook his head in disbelief. In all these years, every time a student claims to have a crush on him, he had the same answer for them. "At the end of education, after all the hardships life and college offers, if you still feel the same, let us talk then." Some crushes were gone in weeks and some in months. But, no one has come to him like this before.

"Mirnalini, I respect your feelings. Unfortunately, I have to confess that I don't return any feelings, not even an iota of it."

Surprisingly, Mirnalini took it well. It was as if she was already prepared to hear this, but wanted to try her luck one last time.

"Is it because of Khushi mam?"

Arnav was taken aback by this direct question. Since last time he warned everyone in a not so kind tone to not spread gossip no matter how tempting it was. So, now to hear a student ask this to him surprised him.