4. Collusion

Brother headed out early one morning, opening the door to my room when the sun had not yet risen but did not come in. Though half-asleep, I do not have any memories of him saying a word, and when I got up that Sunday morning I did not find anything left in the room as I assumed he would've. Why had he opened the door then?

Both mum and dad were still fast asleep by the time the store was to be opened, so I took matters into my own hands and allowed for the entry of the early customers who'd been standing outside for a few minutes, desperate to buy a missing consumable for their breakfast.

Sundays were usually quiet; adults who worked often took the day off to perhaps go on a date with their partners, meet with friends in public or visit relatives several train journeys away, and students my age or younger would often be completing last-minute touch-ups on any school projects, finishing homework or getting some revision done for upcoming exams. Because of such, people often did not frequent convenience stores such as ours.

'And you still haven't replied. Where are you?' I muttered as I looked back at the message I had sent my brother querying on his whereabouts; the message was sent but not read. For hours. I tried calling him but the phone would simply not ring. 'Let's just assume it's dead,' I sighed, putting my phone back on the counter and reaching for the remote.

I turned the TV on and switched between channels, nothing which interested me. Without putting much thought into it, I simply left whatever channel was on playing in the background and thought back to the entry which had belonged to my father.

He must've truly been an admirable detective. Not only that but a great writer too. Mum had told me he had written her poems before they were engaged, and she also kept a collection of all haikus he'd ever composed in memory of all places they went on dates to. I had never been granted permission to read any of them, but that only fed my curiosity; when I was younger - I must've been around five - I tried bribing my brother to sneak into their bedroom and open the small wooden-carved crate which mum kept locked with a single silver key, supposedly to keep our curious children fingers away from the writings which were allegedly stored inside. Brother was a newly-teenage boy, so he dismissed my offer of a half-chewed pen lid and let me get in trouble alone. I was not successful in laying hands on any of the relics inside the box, and I did not attempt to try again after being denied my favourite dessert for a month as punishment; the box has often been moved ever since then, and I am the only one never told of its location.

The ear-piercing chime of the bell placed above the door indicated the entry of customers, so I looked towards the direction. By the door appeared a male of some age, who displayed a stern expression, silver hair complementing the green yukata he wore under a black haori - Had he just come from a summer festival I was unaware of taking place?

I bowed my head and he met my gaze, making his way towards the counter as a result of my acknowledgement. He stopped in front of me and did not waver nor speak.

'How may I be of assistance, sir?'

From behind him appeared the black-haired detective I'd grown to dislike for his attitude (the little I saw of it anyway), reluctant in the way he emerged from having been hiding behind the much older male. Was this his boss? A relative? Someone he found in the street to discourage me of holding onto the debt his colleague was to pay for him?

The little one hesitated before he spoke. 'How much is it? - The bill. The snacks. How much of it is left?' he added impatiently as I showed confusion as to what he had addressed; there were no groceries on the counter and I admit to having been taken aback by having him unexpectedly offer to pay for the debt himself.

I read him the value off of a small address book I made note of when he and Atsushi had walked out of the store, and - hesitant in his actions - he laid down the specific value I stated accurately to the single yen, and through a glance, I could see his wallet still retained money. He had the money all along but refused to pay before? What a responsible chap.