16. Divulgence

The police had stormed in shortly after and taken her away into custody, while a taxi was called to transport Kyouka, Atsushi and I to the Armed Detective Agency's headquarters in Yokohama - the visiting of the Yasukuni shrine which had been used as an excuse to bring me along in the train was "postponed" as they announced. We entered the same cafe I'd come to previously, but this time they led me up to their office, sitting me down by an armchair and allowing for me to stay alone in my thoughts for a while; they settled at their respective desks and came to check up on me regularly, asking me if I'd like something to drink or eat, but I continuously refused due to a loss in appetite.

'Just one,' a newly introduced girl by the name Naomi offered, holding out a packet of cookies. 'Take one before Ranpo arrives and devours the whole thing.' She had been crouched down by my feet for the best part of a couple of minutes trying to offer some consolation and snacks alongside it, but there was a clear disappointment on her face when these had not seemed to work. 'Do you not like them? I can find you something you like -' I shook my head to her offer, feeling bad myself for the refusal.

'What's going to happen to her?'

She seemed taken aback by my question and looked back at Atsushi for a silent assertion. She sat on the floor and took my hands in hers. 'I don't know and it depends on what happened on the train, however, I can assure you we're doing our best so that things aren't so hard on either you or your family.' she paused and smiled at me. 'We've got a couple of pretty faces in the agency that can give the police puppy eyes, so you've got nothing to worry about! Plus, you're our responsibility now. We have to make sure you stay well, okay?'

As she finished her sentence the door emitted a knock. Admission was granted but instead of seeing the group of agents I had expected to show up at the door I saw the older man who had once visited the store with Ranpo; he remained as mature and composed as the last time I had seen him, and the black haori over his yukata seemed to be a favourite look.

Naomi, Atsushi and Kyouka stood in his presence, and I conformed to do the same. He acknowledged our action and gestured for us to sit back down and for Atsushi and Kyouka to continue with the work they were currently doing at their desk. He came towards Naomi and me and bowed his head in recognition of my character.

'[Y/N], this is the director of the agency,' Naomi introduced, and I offered my greeting words, though these were as weak as they could be and not quite as worthy as they should've been. 'He's been taking care of calling in your school to excuse your absences. We don't expect you to return in such a state, so don't worry about anything. For now, the director is your carer,' she jested, and though he did not show a smile he also showed no remarks of stricture to loosely playing around with words and jokes.

He seemed to notice the glasses which hung by the collar of my shirt but did not say much of it. Did he think I stole these from Ranpo? Was he reacting just the same way Kunikida did: shocked and surprised?

'I-I didn't steal these from him,' I spoke out as I removed them from my collar and held them carefully in my hand. 'He -'

'I know you didn't.' Then he gave me a soft smile which seemed to disappear the same second it had been expressed. He dismissed himself and headed back towards Atsushi, informing him of something I could not quite catch.

'I think they'll be here soon,' Naomi guessed as she stood up and dusted her skirt off from having been sat on the floor. And she was right.

It didn't take many moments until several agents made their way in through the ajar door; the smiling Kenji, followed by Dazai, and behind him Kunikida seemingly telling him off for whatever reason I did not pay much attention to. But there were no signs of Tanizaki, Yosano or Ranpo.