21. The 199* case

I overheard the rest of the agency discussing Ranpo's sudden disappearance - sacrifice to the crowd as I saw it - after I was brought back to their office.

'Would you like some tea?' I heard Atsushi ask as he peeked in to check on me, but I could not bring myself up to reply. He took it as a no, then went back to his desk.

I analysed the bar of chocolate he'd given me closely, hoping that perhaps he had managed to slip in a note - something! - with the package to let me know what was going on, where he went if he was taken, kidnapped -

'Kidnapped!'

I felt the various pairs of eyes all turned towards me as I unintentionally yelled out the word while shooting up from my seat. I didn't mind it much and threw my cardigan over my shoulders down on my way out.

'[Y/N], where are you going?'

'Dazai, sir,' I addressed, and he, along with the rest of the detectives, seemed taken aback by my use of the formal subject. 'Your coat, please. I'll bring it back like brand-new.'

He was hesitant but removed it leisurely nonetheless, a look of confusion brought about on his face. 'Why do you need it?'

I did not reply and folded the long trench coat in my arms, holding this as carefully as I could so that this would not wrinkle in my touch.

Perhaps I was reckless to spontaneously execute a plan which I had not put much thought into it, but the more time I spent stressing on it the more time he'd be stuck wherever he was - I was certain he'd been taken by someone; it made sense. I felt someone watching us, following us, so it's no doubt that when he stepped out that someone came for him.

I was stopped at the door when the older, silver-haired director stood in front of it. He looked at me for a while, blocking my access to the exit, and did not speak a word.

'Sorry, sir, I'm in a rush,' I told him, but despite this, he did not budge. 'Ranpo is in danger right now. He needs help. I can't waste any time.'

He did not speak for a while, then let out a short breath. 'It's not safe for you to go alone. Take someone with you -'

'I'm trying to get to where he is. I may be wanted, but whoever it is, whoever they are, they have some sort of connection with my mother, I'm sure of it: they won't lay a finger on me,' I testified, though my conscience thought the opposite of what I was saying. 'I've been used as bait once, I can play the same role again.'

But he did not seem convinced: That's okay, neither am I.

I'm acting this biased because it's someone who genuinely trusts me that's on the line. Someone who, despite the petty arguments and childish behaviour, has given me little to no reason to suspect him of anything (I did once, but that was when I was throwing the blame around a circle of people due to the lack of evidence and trust).

'I need to help him. It's because of me that he's stuck in this - whatever situation he's in,' I continued, but my protests could not do so much as moving him aside from the door. 'Sir, please! I've seen what the dark can do to him. God forbid they took him somewhere -'

'Kunikida!' The blonde male shot up, standing quickly from his seat upon being called by the director. 'Accompany [L/N] in the search. I trust you'll be suited for this job.'

The blonde male bowed and thanked him for the trust, then followed me out of the building once the director had stepped out of the way; though my legs were shorter than his, Kunikida had been struggling to keep up with my pace, but not once did he complain.

I entered the dry cleaners I'd been to with Ranpo a couple of hours back and slammed the coat I had borrowed from Dazai onto the counter.

'I see you've disposed of that rude boyfriend of yours -'