20. Hide and Seek

'You want me to be your assistant?'

Ranpo looked up from his seat and gave no hint as to what exactly he was looking for in my expression, nor did he show a change in his either. He sighed and looked back at the snacks on his desk. 'That's too much work.'

'Fine! I'll just ask someone else.' I whined, turning around to look at the other detectives sitting at their respective desks.

Atsushi may have been my first choice due to having known him the longest (plus he seemed polite and willing to help), but he was absent and elsewhere with Kyouka, possibly carrying out some other job.

Yosano was outside also, shopping I was told, and she'd not be back until a few hours later - I couldn't wait that long.

I may have asked Kunikida to help but I'd been told his mindset was focused on his ideals and the detailed plan of his day did not include helping me carry out a spontaneous mission without many details to its name.

Dazai was lying by a couch nearby reading a book, and when I asked him for assistance he stated that he was busy finding ways to commit suicide... Did no one else around here find that odd...?

Though Kenji seemed like a nice boy willing to help, I couldn't bring myself to ask him; perhaps there was unspoken intimidation which I felt from him, and when I did manage to direct him a word I couldn't bring myself to dismiss his passionate introduction of his plant friend and ask for his assistance based on my own interest.

Tanizaki and Naomi (supposed siblings) were taking care of the reception area and any calls they may receive from other clients, so they too were busy.

I sighed and brought my fingers to my temple. 'I guess I'll just investigate on my own.'

'You're going alone?' Ranpo asked with his mouth stuffed with sweets; he swallowed the contents in his mouth and held out a pocky stick from his box. He sat still for a while then a grim look came about his face, making him stand up and take the remaining snacks one by one into his arms. 'You can't go to see your mum.'

'Why not?'

He didn't reply and I felt obliged to follow him to wherever he was going, hoping he had changed his mind about helping me; I followed him to the lockers and watched him stuff his snacks inside his locker, and the glinting of the silver key stood out from the dull surroundings.

'You changed the lock so it'd match with the one from the box.' Again, no reply, but this time it was expected: I had not asked a question but made a statement, though I wondered how the lock had been changed in so little time. 'You must know how to change them. I wish I had skills to brag about.'

'I didn't change it. I don't know how to do that,' he finally stated, then stood up straight and put his hands on his hips, sighing as he did so. 'I want ice cream! Get me some ice cream!'

I would've brought myself up to speak against his imperative, arguing that I shouldn't be subject to his sweet cravings and possibly rejected the whole statement as a whole, but didn't at the time; it wasn't easy to negotiate with him, I got that impression, but perhaps if I did as he asked I may be able to get some information out of him. Forgive me for using you this way.

The two of us headed out of the building and walked aimlessly through various streets. He said he was easily lost in the city, and I didn't know which places to head to to get him what he desired; we did find a couple of ice cream vans around, but none appeased his judgement.

'What exactly is it that you're looking for?'

'I'll know it when I see it.' - was the witty reply he provided, then remained silent during the rest of the search.