21. Colloquy

Karna found himself abruptly colliding with the formidable chest of the mighty Bhishma

Karna found himself abruptly colliding with the formidable chest of the mighty Bhishma. He quickly composed himself and offered his apologies, saying, "I sincerely apologize, esteemed Bhishma. I was merely trying to catch my mischievous son, who seems to be causing quite a ruckus these days."

"Prapitamaha, please lend me your assistance. I am but an innocent child, and my father is exceedingly strict. He would lecture me endlessly on discipline. Please, I implore you, help me," pleaded Vrishasena with a voice so sweet it could melt anyone's heart.

Before Karna could utter a word, Bhishma intervened, saying, "Let it be, dear Karna. It is the age of shenanigans for a boy like him."

"Even you, esteemed Bhishma, this boy has become increasingly mischievous. I will have to send him to gurukul," Karna declared, his anger evident.

"Karna, let it be. Putra Vrishasena, refrain from doing anything that might annoy your father, but do let me know when he sings his songs," Bhishma said, and both of them shared a laugh at Karna's reddened face.

"Pitashree, I apologize. Good night, Pitashree. We should retire early," Vrishasena said, swiftly making his way to his room.

"He seems to have quite the support in this palace," Karna muttered, his anger still lingering.

"Let it be, Karna. I wish to speak with you. Let us go to my private gardens," Bhishma suggested.

"I would be honored to converse with you, esteemed Bhishma," Karna responded with a smile, and both men made their way to the royal gardens.

"Suryaputra Karna, I must express my gratitude for saving my dynasty," Bhishma exclaimed, his voice filled with excitement, causing Karna's eyes to widen.

"I am but a sutputra, esteemed Bhishma," Karna humbly replied.

"I know, my child. I am aware of your true identity. You are the Protector of Justice and the emperor of all Aryavart, Prithvi. My mother Ganga has already enlightened me about you," Bhishma revealed, observing Karna's reaction.

"So, you know?" Karna asked, unable to conceal his smile.

"Not only that, I am also acquainted with Princess Madirakshi, the royal empress of the entire Āryāvrata," Bhishma said, a smile forming on his lips.

"Did Mata Ganga inform you about me?" Karna inquired, and Bhishma nodded. The two of them fell silent for a moment before Bhishma broke it.

"Thank you, Karna. I am at a loss as to how I can repay you. You have performed an incredible feat by saving my clan," Bhishma expressed with tears welling up in his eyes.

"No need for gratitude, esteemed Bhishma. It was my duty to protect my birth land from the ravages of war," Karna replied, and the two men once again fell into a contemplative silence.

After a brief moment of stillness, Karna asked, "So, what are your thoughts on my idea of justice, esteemed Bhishma? Did you find it agreeable?"

"Of course, I loved it," Bhishma replied, his gaze fixed on Karna.