27. Connive

Shakuni lay unconscious for two agonizing days

Shakuni lay unconscious for two agonizing days. When he finally regained consciousness, his head throbbed, his body ached, and his legs were swollen. But what horrified him the most was the sight of himself dressed in women's clothing. Shame washed over him, and he couldn't bear to face his own reflection.

Seeking answers, Shakuni turned to his nephews and inquired about the events that had transpired during his unconsciousness. As he learned about his own devious antics, a profound sense of shame overwhelmed him. He was appalled by the absurdity of his actions and felt a growing suspicion towards Karna, Bhishma, Vidur, and even his own nephews, who seemed to have undergone a transformation.

Shakuni realized that Karna played a role in this debacle. Doubts also crept into his mind about Bhishma and Vidur. Even his nephews appeared different, casting shadows of doubt upon them. The absence of conflict between the Pandavas and the Kauravas, and the division of power between Duryodhana and Yudhishthira, orchestrated by Karna, shocked Shakuni.

"That Suryaputra has ruined my entire plan. I must find a way to sow discord among these newly formed brothers," Shakuni seethed with anger. Suddenly, an eagle swooped down and delivered a message to him.

"My plan is ready. How will you defeat me in this treacherous game? I will execute my scheme, blaming my nephews, and chaos will ensue," Shakuni declared, his anger fueling his determination. He attempted to cast a black magic spell on Hastinapur, concealing his plan from prying eyes, but to his dismay, the magic failed to affect Karna.

Unbeknownst to Shakuni, Karna had also learned of the plan concerning the House of Lac. He had already dispatched his men to Varnavrat and instructed them to construct an underground tunnel, which would provide an escape route for the Pandavas.

The annual trip for the Kuru family, following the death of Maharaja Pandu, involved a customary monsoon puja. This posed a significant challenge for Shakuni, as he pondered how to send only Pandu's family to the House of Lac. However, luck seemed to favor him as an idea took shape in his mind.

He made his way to Dhritarashtra's chamber, having crafted a cunning plan. Gesturing to the soldiers, Shakuni requested an audience with Dhritarashtra, who welcomed him with warmth.

"Brother-in-law, greetings," Shakuni greeted Dhritarashtra in a sugary, sweet voice.

"Greetings, Shakuni. Well, you certainly danced and sang remarkably well. How are you feeling now? What happened to you, acting like a woman?" Dhritarashtra inquired with concern.

"I cannot fathom what befell me, brother-in-law, but now I am well. I need to speak with you privately," Shakuni replied, excitement seeping into his voice.