Amortentia

Look, it's a cliche Amortentia fanfic. You probably rolled your eyes when you saw the title. BUT keep reading please maybe it isn't super cliche! It probably is tho. 

"Ok, class, today we will be brewing Amortentia," Professor Slughorn announced. All the remaining sound in the classroom disappeared. Hermione rolled her eyes. Love potion. Of course, that is what people find interesting. "Collect your ingredients from the supply cabinet, the recipe is on page 127 on your books. We will be working with partners today, so your partners are on the board."

She glanced at the chalkboard, skimming the names until she saw hers. 

Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley

She groaned mentally. She and Ron had broken up a month ago when he had cheated on her with Lavender Brown. He had been trying to get her back ever since. So there were three bad things about being partnered with him. 1, he'll flirt with her. 2, he'll expect her to do all of the work. 3, they were making a love potion. 

She moved over to Harry's former spot. He had been partnered with Neville, lucky bastard. 

"Go get the ingredients," she ordered, casting a spell to boil the water in the cauldron. Ron nodded and walked away. She glanced around the room. Harry and Neville were standing over the textbook, conversing quietly. Ginny and Luna were laughing about something back in the corner. Malfoy was sitting next to Astoria Greengrass, barely paying attention to what she was saying. Based on the way she was flashing her cleavage, she was trying to flirt with him. He didn't look interested. 

Ron sat down next to her, obscuring her vision of Malfoy. She thanked him quietly and started reading the instructions. 

Forty-Seven Minutes Later

"Done," she sighed, relaxing back onto her stool. Ron raised his hand and Slughorn came over to check on their potion. He inhaled the smell.

"Perfect as usual, Miss Granger. Great job. This gets an Exceed Expectations. Now, please share what it smells like with your partners," Slughorn said before walking away to check on someone else's potion. 

"Bacon, mum's pudding, vanilla, and... books," Ron said, shooting a smile at Hermione. She ignored it.

"Books, ink, mint... and some kind of expensive-smelling cologne?" she announced. Yeah, that was not what she had smelled two years ago. Ron looked disappointed. Who the hell wears expensive cologne other than- nope, don't even think it, she mentally chided herself. 

She mentally debated who it could smell like until Slughorn dismissed them and she walked off in the direction of the library for her free period. There was a book she had been meaning to look at.

She walked to the back of the library where she knew the book was. After searching the shelves for a moment, she saw the book out of her reach on the shelf. She stepped up onto a chair and reached for the book. Before she grabbed it, it drifted out of the shelf on its own and down to... 

Fuck. 

She did not want to fight with him today. She sighed and stepped off of the chair crossing her arms. 

"Give me the book, Malfoy," she demanded. 

"No," he responded. "I got it first."

"Well I reached for it first," she snapped, taking a step forward. 

"But I was the one who grabbed it." He stepped forward as well.

"What do you want that book for anyways, Malfoy?" Step.

"Why does it matter to you, Granger?" Step.

"I just didn't think 'The Removal of Magical Scars & Tattoos' was something that interested you." Step. She was way too close to him now. But she wasn't going to back down. After all, she was a Gryffindor. 

"It does. Why do you want the book, Granger?" Step.

"Because of your psycho aunt," she retorted, narrowing her eyes. 

"Oh." He glanced down at her arm.

"That's it? Oh? No snappy comeback this time?"

He let out a shaky breath. "I'm really sorry about that."

She snorted. "Why are you sorry? You weren't the one carving me like a pumpkin."

"I'm sorry I didn't stop her," he responded shortly. 

Hermione sighed. "There's nothing you could have done. Now, give me my book." She lunged forward, reaching for the book.

He caught her wrist in an iron grip. She tried to pull her hand away. "Malfoy, let me go..." She trailed off as she looked at him. His eyes were narrowed but filled with an emotion she hadn't seen on him before. Shock. She tried to yank her grip away but he pulled her closer to him. She inhaled sharply. A familiar scent filled her nose. 

Her eyes widened. That was the cologne scent from earlier. In the Amortentia. 

She yanked her hand out of his grip. He unfroze. 

"What smell is your perfume?" He asked

"What the hell kind of question is that?"

"Just wondering," he responded nonchalantly

"Vanilla rose," she breathed. 

"Can I tell you something crazy, Granger?"

"Sure," she said. He stepped closer and leaned down to whisper something in her ear.

"That smell... your perfume... is what I smelled in the Amortentia," he whispered. She gasped.

"I don't think that's that crazy, Malfoy. In fact, I might've smelled you," she muttered when he leaned back.

"Might?"

"I don't think anyone else smells like expensive cologne and mint."

"I'm surprised you didn't smell Weasel."

"Oh, Ron and I broke up. He cheated on me."

"Really?"

She nodded.

"Well fuck him then," he mumbled, before grabbing her by the waist and crushing their lips together. She grinned into the kiss, placing her hands around his neck.

Dunno where I was going with this one. I kind of... strayed from the whole Amortentia thing, but it's fine. Kinda made it less cliche.