Chapter 10: I'm Sorry

"We need to talk, Rae," Fred said, in the same moment a moan could be heard from within the bedroom, and his eyebrows instantly furrowed. 

"What was that?" His voice was panicked, it seemed, while Rae was merely looking towards the bedroom, utterly unsure about what she should do. 

Luckily, Verity had been able to hear that maybe it wasn't one of their friends coming by to bother them, and only a few seconds later, in one of Rae's large sweaters, she stumbled out into the room. 

"Rae? Who is-" Her sentence dropped instantly as she saw Fred pushing his way through the front door. 

"Verity!?" Fred looked quite flabbergasted, his lips parted as his eyes darted between the two women. 

"Hi, there boss," Verity chuckled, breaking out into full laughter as she saw Rae's embarrassed and awkward face. 

"Ver, can we continue later, or something?" Rae asked while walking towards the woman, her eyes pleading. 

"Of course, Rae, just say the word," she grinned, the two of them walking back into her bedroom and gathering all of Verity's things. 

Rae felt bad for asking her friend to leave like this, their mornings together were always much calmer and especially on Saturdays, the two of them could just relax. 

"Rae it's fine," Verity smiled, cupping her cheek and turning her face to hers. 

"Don't worry about it." Verity grabbed her hand and led her back out into the open room where Fred was standing by her large windowsill. He watched as the two walked towards the front door. 

"I'll see you next weekend." Verity cupped her cheek again, pressing a swift and soft kiss to her lips that was able to make a small smile appear on Rae's face before Verity sprang down the stairs and out into the summer sun. 

Rae slowly closed her door after the door on the bottom of the stairs had been shut. She wandered over to the kitchen sink, quickly filling a glass with water, her hands were shaking slightly as she chugged the liquid. 

Fred didn't say anything, he just looked at her, and after another nervous glance at him, Rae chugged another glass. 

"So, you and Verity are dating?" Fred's eyebrows were furrowed as he looked at her, watching her every move. Rae just felt even more awkward because of not even wearing pants, Christ the only thing she was wearing was this stupid flannel. 

"No, it's nothing like that between us... we're just good at pleasing each other." A slight smile glided across Rae's face. 

"Then why were you acting so cold towards me all of a sudden, I don't get it," Fred said and walked over so that he was standing right next to her. 

"I really am sorry, I shouldn't have acted like that towards you and I'm so fucking sorry about how I acted back in school... it was my fault, I fucked up and my dumb- I just- please talk to me," Fred spoke as he took her face in between his hands, forcing her to look up at him. 

Rae wasn't sure what to say, she hadn't exactly made up her mind after yesterday. She had just gotten drunk and then had sex, it seemed easier than thinking. 

"Thank you for apologising," She mumbled, looking into his eyes to make sure that he was actually being sincere, and he was. That didn't help her at all in trying to figure out what she should feel, being angry was so much easier. 

"Can- can I stay here?" He kept holding onto Rae's face, it was probably a good idea, otherwise, she would've looked away from him immediately. 

"Sure," She breathed out the word, not really certain if she wanted that or not.