Chapter 20: Thoughts of Her

Regret is a strange thing

Fred regret hurting her, of course, he did. He hated himself for ever putting her through something like that, but he wanted to atone for that mistake for the rest of time. He wanted nothing more than to be with her and prove every day that he was better this time.

But if none of it had happened back then, wouldn't they had broken up because of something different? They weren't ready for each other back then, but they were now. Would they be in the same situation as they were now if something back then changed?

Maybe they wouldn't have ended back up in each others' lives and neither of them wanted to risk that for the world. If they hadn't ended so suddenly, if they had gotten the time to lose each other, would any of it be the same?

Thousands of questions roaring through their minds, but it wasn't any that they wanted answers to. They had each other again, and that was what mattered.

Fred was floating on a pink cloud that had plastered the goofy grin on his face, his whole body filling with fireworks as he watched her work. Rae hadn't noticed he was there, and for now, he didn't want her to.

She could be absolutely brutal, a real force to be reckoned with, and he knew that better than anyone, but it was also part of the reason why he loved her. Her smile made his heart skip a beat and he could've never thought it would be so easy for him to fall 10 times harder than before.

She was right, of course, he had been a dickhead, prick, arsehole, whatever she wanted to call him, he would agree. Especially now, because every time she said it, her smile was betraying her words, and it set off fireworks inside of him every time.

To some degree, he knew it was because of how new yet familiar it was. The new excitement of love, a feeling bigger than everything else, but with her it felt like home.

Rae now noticed him leaning on the doorway as she spoke to a customer and she beamed at him, not just smile but everything. It was that feeling again, a wonderful burning in his bones because of how vulnerable she made him feel.

It scared Fred, of course, a feeling like that will do that to anyone, but he still wanted to kiss her so hard that he would see stars and continue to love her for as long as the universe allowed.

"What are you doing here?" Her beautiful voice left her gorgeous lips, and he felt nothing but entranced.

"Wanted to see you," He spoke, although it didn't feel like him, he was too busy watching her. Rae was bright enough to burn him, and with every glance she did, igniting him, and the lions, and the fireworks, and the butterflies all at once.

"Well, you're definitely seeing me. How did George's date with Lee go?" Her laugh was music to his ears as he played with her necklace, maybe he should give her some jewellery, but she didn't really care much for it.

"They haven't left the bedroom since, so I'd say good." She'd probably like some new notebooks or more books on chess, although she didn't really need them. Fred had never seen a more brilliant player than her, probably because he didn't care for chess, but it was cool to him.

"Can't say I'm surprised, he was so excited when Lee said yes." She laughed again, hastily pecking his lips as another customer walked towards the register.

The piano in her flat was getting really old, but he didn't know much about classical instruments, and there was a lot of emotional attachment to the one she had. He could help her out with the garden again, she mentioned needing a new fence so that could work as a surprise.

"Of course! Have a nice day and please come back if it wears off," Rae said to the couple walking out of the door, and Min walked in at the same time.