Chapter 4

Hi,

I managed to do some extra writing the last few days, so you're going to get an extra chapter this week. There's another new character in this one, and, as always, I'm eager to hear your opinion. If there's something you particularly don't like or like, please let me know.

Thank you all for reading!! :D

Lara

______________________________________________________

Chapter 4

My eyes swerved to my wristwatch nervously, then returned back to the digital display above, willing the elevator to move up faster, while muttering silent curses. How long could it possibly take to go up ten floors?!

Finally the metal doors slid open with mechanical ease and I rushed out, nearly knocking down one of the Circle's guards. I mumbled an apology and ran on, heading straight to the gym. Clumsily, I tried to clutch my sports bag closer to me and failed half-way. The damned thing bumped against my leg as if it had been created for the sole purpose of annoying me.

Slightly out of breath, I entered the room only to find that it was empty. Cleared of any other witches in training or members of the Force, it had the potential to lull the spectator into believing that it was a place of peace. I let my eyes wander over the empty floor, the contest area, wondering what kind of six-pack coach Erica had appointed as her substitute.

A low voice disturbed the room's silence, parting it like a curtain.

"You're late."

My eyes darted to the entrance of the fitness center to my right. I did a double take and stared at the source of the voice unbelievingly, dumbstruck by the strong impact of déjà vu.

That can't be him, can it?

Thin lips, strong lineaments; wild-almost-curly strands of light blond strewn across a darker blondish curtain underneath. I couldn't help but recognize that he was still as tanned as back then, as much as my eyes couldn't help lingering on his muscular chest.

Yup, it's him.

"What? Has the cat got your tongue, Johnson?" he said, smirking.

"Andy Varner," I said with deliberate slowness. "I thought you were somewhere in South America on a secret mission for the Force. What are you doing here?"

I approached him slowly, glad that I had managed to come out of my initial state of shock. Maybe I could at least keep up the pretence of not being a total moron. Andy walked up to me, meeting me half-way, right in the middle of the gym. The motion seemed deliberate, the way he carried himself not in the least awkward. He was still fond of wearing blue jeans and white shirts, apparently.

"At the moment I'm not on any particular mission. Not that I haven't been in South America before, doing just what you hinted at," he said and smiled.

Something about it was different, and yet I remembered. I remembered that devastating smile – a painful reminder of why I had a crush on him during our final year of education. But that was a long time ago. Oblivious to my reminiscing, he went on, hazel brown eyes dripping with silent amusement.

"So, you're the pupil Erica was talking about. The TF3, huh? Never thought you'd make it. I have to say that I'm surprised, Johnson."

With that one statement he managed to burst the bubble of memories I had been indulging myself in. I gave him a scalding look and retorted.